Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

High Pitched Dashboard Squeal/Engine (Yamaha 115 4-stroke) Restart Problem

After a month of inactivity, went to restart the engine and after 5 minutes of idling a high pitched squeal sounded underneath the dash. Then, after running in the water for 5 minutes I shut the ignition off to investigate the continuous squeal. The engine then would not restart until a 10 minute rest. Initially the restart did not produce the high pitched squeal, but then it returned again about 5 minutes later. Any suggestions what the problem may be to solve?

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure the sound you hear is not the engine alarm going off?  That alarm is pretty high pitched.  Are you seeing water come out of the pisser on the starboard side of the engine when it is running?  Sounds like an overheat alarm to me, and your having to let the engine cool again before it will start.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    I think EarnestT is right, you are hearing the engine alarm. You should see water squirting from the dischage port a couple of seconds after starting. If not, shut it off, tilt the motor up and look to see if the intake screen is clogged. Don't run it if no water is flowing. $$$$$$$$ 
  • jbradsha
    jbradsha Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to Earnest T and FlyingV5...correct diagnoses and an ever appreciative novice looking to not repeat the error. Great forum!