Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane 198 cant be trimmed without porpusing

copytype
copytype Member Posts: 3
I have a new 198 with a 130 etec. If I barly touch the trim it starts to porpus. Without trim It will run around 36 but if I trim it I can get 42 but then it starts to hop. Have to trim back down. Cant even get past 1/4 on the trim gage.

Answers

• Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hmmm...checking with Hurricane on this for you...
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    Hey copy...here's a suggestion from one of the Hurricane engineers:

What hole the motor is mounted on? It sounds as if the motor is mounted too high. It should be mounted in the second hole from the top of the mounting plate.
  • copytype
    copytype Member Posts: 3
    Not sure, it has been at the dealer for a month now. They are telling me that evenrude says its mounted right. They say  that they have tried trim tabs and four different props. Now they say i need to upgrade it to at least the new etech 135 or a 150 to solve the problem I just bought this boat 6 weeks ago and only had it in the water 2 times and its undiveable.  IM starting to think I made a big mistake. If I upgrade the motor I will have a $45000.00 boat and a used 130 motor. I dont think that is a good value at all. . So upset.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@copytype.  I don't necessarily agree with their assessment.  One question I'd be asking is even if the current engine is mounted in the proper position, is what model of engine?  With the Evinrude 130, they have 4 models, 2 are 20" shaft, 2 are 25" shafts.  Perhaps they have the engine in proper hole but the cavitation plate isn't aligned correctly with the bottom of the hull.   The various mounting holes are there to align the engine properly and if you have a long vs extra long shaft on the OB, you need to adjust accordingly.  To truly determine the proper length, you need to know the depth of your transom.   If its 23" or deeper, you should have an extra long or 25" shaft (E130DCX or E130DPX)  If its more shallow as indicated below the you'd need a 20" (E130DSL or E130DPL)

What is the extra HP going to accomplish?  Getting you extra speed without trimming?  I would suspect if I took your current engine, replaced the powerhead with a higher HP one, that trimming it to the same position would give you similar results.  (You've suggested they want to increase it by 5 - 20 HP?)  A 150 would be your max HP rating.  I don't see why you'd need extra HP to prevent porpoising.

In fact, I have a 200HP on my 188, and if I get it to the right RPMs/Speed, I can make mine porpoise intentionally.

You mentioned SmartTabs.  Are they installed on your boat?  If so, you're the first person that's ever indicated this didn't correct that issue.  (Just google it)  I'd assume they've left them there since they've now drilled into your hull to install them.  Perhaps they're not positioned correctly and need adjusting?

Not sure if this helps or not, but good luck and hopefully you get that boat back on the water where you and it belong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, and ignore the Short Shaft measurement in the picture as it really only applies to small outboards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    I believe nquirk is correct. I also believe that if your dealer installed the wrong model/shaft length/whatever it should be on them, not you. you could run that boat on a 115 hp without porpoising IF the shaft length and mounting position are correct. I know a lot of people that spend a lot of $$ on tabs that were probably unnecessary for similar problems. Tabs really are best for correcting side to side trim issues. Motor trim is used mainly for ride/bow height/porpoising issues.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection