Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SD Sport slow to plane

Options
aaa1950
aaa1950 Member Posts: 19
I have a 2012 Sundeck Sport 188 with a 115hp Yamaha OB, although I'm new to boating I know that my boat is slow to plane especially if you have 4 people on board.  I have followed the instructions regarding keeping the motor all the way down until it does plane, and other advice I read on the forum.  I have a stock prop, the 13 1/4 x 17.  From what I've read if I upgrade to a 4 blade prop I should get better performance.  Can anyone comment on that, and would upgrading affect the engine warranty?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A 4 blade prop will definitely help, but I'd recommend looking at installing a set of Nauticus Smart Tabs as a first step. I did both on my boat (4 blade prop and tabs), and the tabs have the much greater effect. In addition there are other significant improvements to be gained from the tabs; reduced planning speed, reduced bow rise, smoother ride in rough water, etc.. Changing the prop or adding the tabs has no effect on warranty. Keep in mind that finding the right pitch for the prop change is somewhat of a trial and error process. Be sure that there is a return policy on any props you try. The goal is to find a 4 blade prop that will turn at near your engines maximum rpms, just as hopefully your current 3 blade prop does now.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner