Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

• Best Of...
  • Groups
  • Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

We are excited to announce that a full Forum system upgrade is under way, which will make it even easier to get answers to your questions, help other owners by using your boating experience, and receive dependable advice from our network of experts. While things may look and operate a little differently, we believe the new system will ultimately improve your Forum Member experience.

We are doing everything we can to transition your account smoothly without you having to change your current login, username or password. You should be able to get into your account exactly the same way once the transition takes place. However, if you have any questions or comments, please leave a comment in the General Discussions category.

We look forward to sharing new features with you as we upgrade and improve your Owner's Club Forum experience!

198 Fundeck

I just purchased a used 2004 Fundeck 198.  It has a 115 HP Yamaha and in general we are very pleased with the boat. As usual there are a few niggling bits to complain about.  My wife says I would be very disappointed if I did not have anything to work on.

1. First the steering.  It is very wonky (technical term).  Boat does not want to hold a heading.  High steering effort. Small inputs generate large changes in direction or very little change.  I've altered trim but that seems to have little effect. It is better at high speeds.  Anyone have any suggestions?

2.  Trim indicator on dash worked initially but then quit.  Any quick fixes?

3. The dash speedometer does not work.  The sensing unit is in place on the back of the boat and as far as I can tell it is not obstructed.  

All help and recommendations are appreciated.

Gary B.

Comments

• mlmeadormlmeador Member Posts: 12
      can only help you with #3...there  will be a small hole of the front of the outboard engine (~1/8 inch) that needs to be unplugged....just put in a small drill bit/similar to unplug....Marty
    • Ernest TErnest T Member, Moderator Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
      For #1 You may need to change the trim tab at the engine. Initially my boat pulled starboard. I adjusted the tab 1 or 2 notches and it fixed the problem. If you have a hydraulic steering system, you may need to purge and refill the hydraulic fluid. Its not hard to do, but requires 2 people. The instructions are on the Teleflex website and you can buy a kit with the fluid and the filler hose: [link=http://www.teleflexmarine.com/support-2/installation-manuals-controls-cables/installation-manuals/hydraulic-installation-manuals-filling-purging/]http://www.teleflexmarine...nuals-filling-purging/[/link] Don't know about #2, and mlmeador is right about #3.
      2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
      2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
      2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
    • bprovsbprovs Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
      Is your speedometer working off of your outboard or a add on device. Usually it works off of the outboard motor system. If that's the case, then what could stop your gauge from working is the hole on the outboard is plugged.  You should be able to locate this very small pin hole by sliding your finger down the front of the lower unit (the front being the portion of the motor that faces the stern). You made need to check your motor manual to locate this hole. But when you do locate it, you can take a paperclip and push into that hole to clean any blockage, such a muck, weeds or sand. Pushing the stuff in won't harm anything. Hopefully this helps.