Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Gas stain on Hurricane SunDeck Sport

Options
While having my boat gassed up, fuel was spilled and now there is a stain on the hull just below the gas cap that is difficult to remove. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure if you have a newer or older boat.  If it's older, then your gelcoat may have oxidized and you will more than likely need to use a compound based polish in order to start to remove the stain.  The more oxidized the gelcoat, the more aggressve the polish.  If your boat is newer and without oxidation, then you want a less aggressive cleaner, preferably one without any compound in it.  

OK.... a little story to share...

Since he tried a bunch of other products on the shelf for his own boat, a representative from my local West Marine store highly recommended using "WEST MARINE Pure Oceans NanoTec Fiberglass Polish" to remove the stubborn black streaks that I get from below the mooring cover and by the snaps (he was actually afraid that I would think he was "pushing" the West Marine brand).  I explained to him that if I had to remove them often, I wanted a polish or cleaner that didn't have compound in it, especially using it on my newer boat.  He understood completely and said that was exactly what he looked for to use on his own boat. 

He seemed pretty sincere, so I figured I try it and take advantage of him trying everything on the shelf instead of me (as spray cleaners didn't work) and found it works great, even on decals.  I also like keeping it on board for quick touch-ups around the boat.  Although I use this product to primarily remove stubborn streaks, I think there might be a good chance it will work on stubborn gas stains too.

Although I can't guarantee it, you may want to give it a try.

Good luck!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer