Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Stereo Speakers

donmat
donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I would like to add a second set of speakers[b][ in my 2010 188 sport]. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if so where did they mount them. I see several options. The stereo is a Sony and has the ability to add [b] as it does have a fade feature.

What I really would like to know is the manufacturer, model etc. of the existing speakers [b] so I could match them. Does anyone (factory rep maybe?) know this information?

Thanks
[/b][/b][/b]

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the factory installs four speakers (if ordered that way) in the following areas:
    A) two up front directly under the left and right bow side cushion area.  Mine were installed that way and each speaker has a  plastic cover protecting the rear of the speakers from being damaged from "stuff" shifting around in the storage areas.  They are installed about mid point of each cushion.
    B) in the galley pedestal 
    C) to the right of the pilots seat

Obviously you already have two of these locations covered already.

There's a decent picture of an interior shot on Hurricane's website of your model showing the galley and port side bow speaker locations.  Just click on your model a scroll through the picture gallery.  Here's the link:

[link=http://www.hurricaneboats.com/boats/SunDeck-Sport-SS-188-OB]http://www.hurricaneboats.com/boats/SunDeck-Sport-SS-188-OB[/link]

Maybe this helps!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• donmat
    Thanks for the info, it was a big help. The bow area is exactly where I had in mind to install the additional speakers. I'll see if they are available from Hurricane, through my dealer. The wiring may already be there but if not, it would be easy to run. If I knew the make of the speakers I could probably get them online but i don't see any markings on the front anyway.
  • cjjjdeck
    It sounds like you're on the right track.  You more than likely will want to get matching speaker grills which you would get from your dealer, might as well get a quote on the speakers too, especially if you are satisfied with the quality of the speakers that came with the boat.  I've been pretty satisfied with the ones my boat came with.

Also, I was at the lake today and noticed the wiring coming to the front storage area that go to the speakers.  They were neatly run along the top internal corners of the area using plastic cable ties/bases to keep them managed and out of the way.  Considering you have fairly easy access from the galley and helm to make the run into the storage areas, the run shouldn't be too crazy.  It's also a perfect location for your passengers to hear the tunes too!

Best of luck! 

• donmat
    Didn't get much help from customer service who told me they didn't run the wiring unless ordered with the boat. I found this to be not true as I did some checking and found the wiring in the flexible conduit using the stereo installation schematic. They referred me to the dealer without telling me if the speakers were available or not.

I actually purchased a set of speakers from a Stingray (off the Stingray forum) and the guy sent me an extra set of grills so I can replace the ones on the boat and they will all match.

• donmat
    Didn't get much help from customer service who told me they didn't run the wiring unless ordered with the boat. I found this to be not true as I did some checking and found the wiring in the flexible conduit using the stereo installation schematic. They referred me to the dealer without telling me if the speakers were available or not.

I actually purchased a set of speakers from a Stingray (off the Stingray forum) and the guy sent me an extra set of grills so I can replace the ones on the boat and they will all match.

• cjjjdeck
    Not surprised the harness was pre-wired, it makes economical sense in a manufacturing environment and the C/S rep needs to support the dealer network I'm sure.  That should take a good chunk of labor out of the upgrade!

Just make sure the speakers you bought are the same impedance (usually stamped or labeled on the back of the speaker, like 4 ohms... 8 ohms... etc.) as the two that came installed with the boat.   The Sony owners manual (which you should have gotten with the boat) may state that specification as well.  Depending on the receiver, sometimes the requirement  for two speaker installations require a different impedance speaker than if you have a four speaker installation.  The Sony unit I have has 4 ohm speakers with a four speaker setup, 8 ohms for two speakers.  Not really sure what the consequences are mixing them (there might be some more knowledgeable 12 volt people out there that can explain it better), but it's worth considering if you want the best out of your sound system.

Good luck with the upgrade!