Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Sandbar Parking

jegraham
jegraham Member Posts: 15
Is it ok for the boat to pull up onto a sandbar for swimming? We have a ss201 IO. 

Comments

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Get a keel protector. Sand is gentler than rocks, but more abrasive than mud. Eventually (many years?) you will skin the fiberglass off the keel. My old boat was that way, so I had the dealer install a keel protector on my FD196 before delivery, and still was reluctant to beach it at first. We have beached it twice now on a coarse sand/sharp gravel beach. No visible marks.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the KeelGuard. Actually, I installed a KeelShield, which is a very similar product. I've used both products, and I personally like the KeelShield better. It has a thicker adhesive band, and is more flexible, which makes it easier to install around changes in contour. It also has a glossy finish the better matches the boat. Now I just run the boat right up onto sandy beaches with no problems so far with scratching the finish.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner