Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

My Hurricane 217 outboard has 4.5 hours on it and the tachometer and the trim gauge stopped working.

I was told that the Tachometer / Trim gauges for Hurricane boats have a high failure rate.  Is this true?  My gauge just went bad after 4 hours of use.  My boat is still under warranty but I don't want to constantly change out the gauge.  Thanks for your help PadreMike

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The tachometer gets power from the main battery harness and receives signal from a sensor on the engine, remote trim switches get power from engine sources, usually from a trim relay component.  What you are experiencing more often than not comes from engine component/connection related issues which are not manufactured by Hurricane nor Faria .  You may find your gauges are not the problem.

Most gauge problems usually come from poor electrical connections (usually from being loose, broken or corroded) or sensor related problems.  So I'm not sure where you got your information from regarding the high failure rate of the gauges.  Faria gauges are about as good as you can get for boats.  Mine are over 8 years old and have never had a problem. 

Please post what your dealer finds wrong so forum members can benefit from your experience.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer