Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Connecting a Y Harness Bridle to a 2020 Sundeck Sport 188 IO with a Rear Swim Platform

FrankHD
FrankHD Member Posts: 16
I know that a Y harness should be used for pulling tubers, and I know that the Y harness should be attached to the boat rear trailer tiedown points.    As I was thinking about this, I wondered what prevents the Y harness or the tow line from getting tangled in the prop?  But, I have noticed that my rear swim platform has two oval slots in it.  Is the intent that I route the Y harness through those slots and down to the tiedown points?  It seems like that might put a lot of load on the swim platform, although it would keep the harness and the tow rope away from the prop.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Those openings are used for access to the lifting eyes to lift the boat out of the water.  Those are also used as trailer tie down points.  They are not used for towing toys.

I have a an I/O as well and I use the central mounted tow hook for pulling anything.  Due to where the tow hook is located on the stern, I have found the tube works best when used with a Booster Ball.  SportsStuff and Airhead make them.  They get mounted in the middle of the ski rope and keep the rope from burying itself in the wake.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• FrankHD
    FrankHD Member Posts: 16
    @cjjjdeck
    Thanks for the response!  That said, I have read many anecdotes about people towing inflatables from the waterskier / wakeboarder tow point and damaging the transom on their boat when the tube noses into the water.  Perhaps the booster ball prevents that from happening?

When I bought the boat form the dealer they recommended using a Y bridle, but it's not clear to me if I loop it around the outdrive under the swim platform or route it through the slots in the swim platform, which seems like it could put a significant load on the swim platform.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, it is really what you prefer.  I've been towing a 2 person inflatable, single wakeboard and skier for 8 years off my tow hook, which I find convenient to use being right above the swim platform.  I have not seen or had any structural problems with doing this so far.  The Booster Ball has made a big difference in the towing performance and I would strongly recommend using it either way you decide to tow your inflatable(s).

Pulling from the lift eyes provides a very strong foundation, but they are positioned even lower than the tow hook, so it goes without saying that the Booster ball is a must.  I would not bring the tow ropes up through the holes on the swim platform.  If you decide to go with the Y-bridle, if it were me, I would make sure to get one that floats to help make it easier to use and lower the chances of it getting caught up in the drive/prop.  Also, it doesn't pay to get the non-heavy duty versions as you never know when you might want to upgrade on a multi-person inflatable.  I've had good luck with both Airhead and SportsStuff products.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Kfitz
    Kfitz Member Posts: 2
    FrankHD, 
    What did you end up doing?  We are in the same predicament.  If we mount the Y-harness below the swim platform does that put strain on the platform?
    Thanks!