Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Gel Coat Blisters

JCesar
JCesar Member Posts: 2

Pulled my boat out to fins several blisters that have opened up. E-mailed pics to Terri at Hurricane. She was kind enough to send me a copy of the warranty stating that blisters are not covered in the hull warranty. I work in the gel coat manufacturing business and know that blistering can be and is usually caused by poor application. My boat has been in service for 3 years this summer and now I will have to fork over thousands to get it repaired. After questioning Terri on the warranty she said, "it clearly states that blisters are not covered". Very poor customer service after the fact.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    It is frustrating and unfortunate when things like this happen to your boat that you feel were beyond your control or nothing you've done to produce it.

Unfortunately, you will find after checking around with other boat manufacturers, this is not at all an uncommon exclusion to a boat's hull warranty, it's pretty much an industry standard.  So it doesn't matter what manufacture boat you own, if this condition came up, the answer would have more than likely been the same.  I know this doesn't make anyone feel better, and I'm not necessarily saying it's right, but it is right to set the record straight.  It sounds like Hurricane customer service was just explaining what you were covered for, but it understandably was not what you wanted to hear.  The best reason that I have found explaining why this warranty exclusion exists is because environmental operating conditions and customer maintenance/care actions are factors that have significant effect on the condition and durability of the gel coat.  This makes the manufacturers feel that these factors are  beyond the their control, so there is an exclusion.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer