Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Re-power question

parachuter
parachuter Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
A couple of months ago I  bought a 2006 217 Sundeck with a 2009 Yamaha 225hp. Unfortunately I threw a rod in that motor after 18 hours of use. I’m looking  at re-powering  it with a new motor. I see that some of the same hulls have 150hp engines. I’m leaning on replacing it with a 200hp instead of the 225hp. If I can get by with the 150hp to save some money I will. If you have that same hull with a 150hp can you comment on the performance? I’m not looking for a hotrod. I just want to see if the 150hp is enough with 5-7 adults to get up and run if needed. Also what pitch prop you are running would be helpful.
thanks 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    While you're waiting for some responses from other SD217 owners, and it looks like you are aware of the boat's HP limitations, just to confirm, here's the specs for your boat, this comes from the 2006 Hurricane catalog.  As a guideline, 75% of the max horsepower should be around the minimum horsepower you want to go:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• parachuter

Thanks, cjjjdeck
    I pulled  the trigger today and ordered a Yamaha 200HP. I went with your recommendation of 75% of max horsepower should be the minimum and decided to go with the 200. The shop owner assured me that with the proper prop selection, I wouldn’t have any trouble getting on a plane. I may sacrifice some top end speed but I’m not looking for a hot rod either. Unfortunately the shop is backed up and it will take around two weeks before I get it back. Stay tuned for updates with the new motor. 
  • cjjjdeck
    I think you made a very good decision, the extra 25 HP would not have yielded that much performance improvement.  I would have done the same thing.

Please let us know how it all works out, I look forward to hearing about it!

• parachuter
    I can honestly say I don’t have buyers remorse with my decision to go with the Yamaha 200HP. I went with a stainless 15” prop and it pushes 7 adults out of the hole quickly. It tops out around 38 mph,  5700 rpms. I’ve had it around 43 mph pegging 6000 rpms with the top up with just myself driving. I haven’t tried any tubing or water sports towing activities yet, but I don’t foresee any problems with pulling a couple of adults.  It’s going in the shop this week to have the 20 hour service performed. 
  • cjjjdeck
    That's great news!  Appreciate the update!  It should easily handle any watersports activity.