Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Transducer install location, not factory, 1999 FD170

lbc970
lbc970 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 3
I am trying to mount a transducer on a 99 FD170 OB, and all the instruction from Humminbird are for places on the transom that are not ideal. Within 18" inches away from the OB lower unit, not behind a lifting strake, in a place where it's always in the water, not directly in front of prop, etc. Can anyone offer any advice? I will post a picture of my transom in a few. Thanks for the help!

Comments

• lbc970
    lbc970 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2020
    imgur.com/a/hgHETHw
    Since the image attachment isn't working.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    See your picture below:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I installed a Lowrance HDS 7 unit with Structure Scan.  I tried to find a picture of my transom area showing where it was installed, but no luck..... I'll have to make a note to myself to take one someday soon.

Below is the guide I and my dealer used to install the transducer for my boat.  I have been very happy with the performance the transducer gives at trolling and planing speeds.  Often the location is a compromise due to other systems mounted on the transom of the boat (like livewell pickup, speedometer pitot tube, drains etc,).

Here's a picture of your transom area and the potential areas you can mount the transducer.  Look on the bottom of your boat to avoid mounting the unit directly behind the lifting strakes molded into the hull as these structures can cause turbulence in the back of the boat.  Unit must be mounted parallel to the water surface.  About 50% of the unit should be located below the hull.

If you are leery about making holes in your transom, there is a product I really like and had wished I used on the market for mounting transducers without drilling holes in the transom.  It's called "STERN SAVER–Stern Saver Transducer Mounting Block".  Its a kit and comes with everything you need to position the block on your transom (made of King Starboard, one of my favorite marine products).  Just search the product, its sold by a lot of suppliers, including Amazon.  You can also attach your own piece of Starboard using 3M 5200 Marine adhesive.

One more item I want to mention.  It's a YouTube video I have taken a liking to that shows a boat dealer installing a transducer and he shares some really good installation tips:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37oRbgGTv0M

Hope this helps a bit.  Maybe others can share their experience with transducers as well.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer