Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Mounting Location for a Minn Kota Precision 3-bank onboard Battery Charger?

Options
Burt
Burt Member Posts: 1
edited June 2020 in Social Groups
Good evening everyone!  I am a new owner of a 2020 SD 217 and this is my first post on the forum. 

After doing some research, I decided to purchase a Minn Kota Precision 3-bank onboard charger for my boat.  The only issue is that the charger is much larger than I expected, and i'm not sure where to mount it at.  The dimensions are 9.25"x8.25"x3". 

I currently have two batteries onboard, which came with the boat, and a selector switch. I have decided to wire the current batteries in parallel to run my house electronics, and install a larger starting battery.  All 3 are flooded Delka batteries.  I've read that it isn't recommended to install the onboard charger in the same compartment as flooded batteries due to the gas that they emit.  My boat only has three accessible compartments; the battery compartment, the ski locker, and the front anchor compartment.  The battery compartment seems like the only logical place to install the onboard charger so that the leads are short from the charger to the battery, the charger stays dry, and I can monitor the charging panel. 

What are your thoughts and suggestions?
Post edited by Burt on

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mine is installed on the transom, back by the batteries.  I have had no issue having it mounted there.  I also had my dealer install on exterior outlet with a waterproof cover to plug into the charger.  This way I don't have to run a cord out of a hatch area.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer