Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Traveling with no cover 2012 232OB

Options
cmarti
cmarti Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Should I be concerned with the seats coming out of my boat while trailering??? I have never owned a boat without tethers of some sort on the seats.

Comments

• cmarti
    cmarti Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    Well I answered my own question today. Trailering with out a cover with a Hurricane is not a good idea with their seat design. I just lost my rear seat cushion coming home from the lake after my second trip out with my 2012 Hurricane 232 OB.
    This is my fourth boat since the early 90's and I have never had this problem. All my other boats either had seat bases with hinges or if they did not have hinges they at least had tethers with snaps. This boat does not have either. So now I have to order a new cushion after spending 38K and then have tethers made for all the seat bottoms so they dont end up flying out all on my dime. NOT a good day.

• Macklin
    Macklin Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes you should! Remove them and put them somewhere they won't blow out.

I learned a hard lesson on this. I just bought a GS 211. Lots of the snaps were broken. That was right at the top of the list, but I really wanted to splash it. Well the rear SB cushion took flight at some point without us noticing. Went back and could not find it!

Do cushions sink?

Anyway, they are not designed to stay in the boat at highway speeds.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was always taught to not trailer a boat with a cover if you can help it, especially not one with only snaps (it was one reason I had loops sewn in along the edge of a replacement mooring cover I had made for my previous boat, so I could tie it down to the trailer when highway driving for added security.   This way I didn't need to have a separate trailering cover).  This was due to snaps letting go, abrasion on the gelcoat from cover movement, etc.

However, no one ever mentioned securing seat sections in the process.  Losing one like that would ruin my day too!  Sorry to hear about that kind of experience.

I trailered my SD237 I/O from Northern NJ to Lake George, NY last summer (about 250 miles) without a cover and experienced no incident with the cushions (thankfully!).  Maybe the full width windshield (with the walk-through section secured) has something to do with the aerodynamics which the Sun Deck Sport models don?t have.  Who knows, but I appreciate you sharing the story and I will secure those cushions next trailering trip!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer