Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge Pump - Not sure what to fix?

Options
cbroeder
cbroeder Member Posts: 1
Hello - we are fairly new boat owners, so please keep that in mind. 
Our bilge pump takes in A LOT of water. When we take the drain plug out, it will drain water for at least 3-5 minutes. We have checked the hull for cracks and it looks fine. We do have a livewell, but rarely use it. There isn't water in it. We need to bring it in to be repaired, but we aren't sure what to ask them to repair. Does anyone have a similar experience and can direct us on what to check?
We have a 2014 Sundeck.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having some water accumulate in the bilge is fairly normal, too much is not.  if you have access to see the bilge when you put the boat in the water you can monitor to see if water is accumulating when not under way.  If you see water coming in, you have a leak that needs to be  checked out.  You have a number of thru-hull fittings that could be contributing to the water accumulation.  Those fittings have hoses attached by use of hose clamps.  If they are loose, water can come in,  that's what happened to me when I first launched my boat brand new.  One aft deck drain hose was loose on the thru-hull fitting and water was coming in pretty fast as the bilge pump started right up pumping water while on the ramp. 
    If one became disconnected from the deck fitting side of the hose, water draining off the deck will go right into the bilge area.  Also, your baitwell has a thru-hull fitting as well that should be checked.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer