Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge Pump ?Automatic

Options
rob
rob Member Posts: 6
New to this site, and new Hurricane Boat owner. 2012 188 SS  My question is: Dealer says automatic bilge pump is standard on this model hurricane. How do you operate it? Switch on front has bilge pump on it. Flip switch and bilge pump continues to pump well after empty, never shuts off. What am I doing wrong, I want it to run on automatic while at the dock. Ant help would be great.  Thanks Rob

Comments

• jegraham
    jegraham Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes it is automatic with a float. It will come on with 3/4" of water or more. You can turn in on at the rocker panel but it will keep running until your battery is dead. I us the rocker panel switch if you take a big wave over the bow or if you get a lot of rain and I had the battery switch in the off position and the auto did not come on. 

Have fun with the new boat. We just picked ours up last weekend SS 201 IO
  • jegraham
    Options
    Yes it is automatic with a float. It will come on with 3/4" of water or more. You can turn in on at the rocker panel but it will keep running until your battery is dead. I us the rocker panel switch if you take a big wave over the bow or if you get a lot of rain and I had the battery switch in the off position and the auto did not come on. 

• jegraham
    Options

• Dave
    Dave Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Rob, I just replaced my bilge pump because the switch was left on and burned up the pump.  The switch on the console bypasses the float and runs the pump manually. As long as you have battery power the pump should turn on and off automatically with out the console switch. I use it just to check if the pump runs. I also periodically check the float by lifting the tab on the side of the float. That should turn on the pump. My boat is in the water 24/7 so I want to sure the pump is operating on automatic.
    Hope this helps, Dave
  • 12010clb
    12010clb Member Posts: 1
    Options
    JUST BOUGHT THE SAME BOAT....WASN'T AWARE THAT THE BILGE WAS AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF?  WAS TOLD YOU HAD TO DO IT MANUALLY..HUH!!!!!
  • cmarti
    cmarti Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options
    If the bilge pump is working properly you do not have to do anything. It will kick on even when your switch is in the off position on your dash. If you want to test the float (keep switch off) put your garden hose down in the bilge area and put enough water in there so the water goes above the float and it should kick on and pump out the water. Of course I would do this with the plug in and the boat out of the water.  
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have accidentally turned my bilge pump on with my knee twice now. Easy to not see the lighted switch in bright sunlight. I am thinking of moving that switch to a more out-of-the-way position on the RH end of the dash so I don't burn up the pump before itis ever needed.