Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2015 SD 2486 OB Steering - hard!

I have a brand new boat with a Yamaha 300 hp motor, and the steering is VERY stiff and difficult - is this typical?  isn't power steering standard and if I don't have it can I add it to the boat??  

Any suggestions?

Answers

• omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    No it isn't typical, yes it can be added. 

I've never seen a modern boat that big and powerful without power steering.
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Just looked at the specs for your boat. Hydraulic steering is required for  a 150hp+ motor. Call your dealer, something is wrong if the boat is hard to turn. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • skibum
    skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Yes you can add power steering, its basically a electric hydraulic pump in-line with the current hydraulic steering. Be prepared to spend 2k plus for it.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
     I suspect if you're having difficult steering, unless your boat was misconfigured it should have hydraulic steering installed on it.  Required on any OB with 150HP or greater as @omar174 indicated.  This is to counter the prop torque on large engines.

Assuming its installed you will experience this if you're at higher speed with no trim adjustment (will feel difficult to steer) so adjust trim up to see.

If trimmed out you still feel stiff steering, my guess is you'll need to bleed the lines on the hydraulic steering.  Sometimes on installation, there are still air bubbles trapped in the system that will make it near impossible to steer.  Have your selling dealer do this for you via the service port that should be installed at/near the helm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer