Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

MOTOR STOPPED RUNNING

BWH
BWH Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
Suzuki 150 with 500 +/- hours. Ran pretty **** the lake for a few days straight. Sitting in the middle of lake at idle, motor dies. Radio, lights etc remained on. Turned key and nothing. First thought was fuel as fuel gauge is marginal at best. Sat and considered my options which did not seem good. Turned key and boat started so I ran short distance back to cove. Next day started boat and ran a couple of miles to get fuel.  Any thoughts on why the motor would shut off, fail to start on immediate attempt and then start a few minutes later?     

Comments

• Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    Same thing happened to me with Yamaha F150. However those were two incidents were right after I bought a boat that had been stored for two years. I've had no incidents since so, I've chalked it up to some bad fuel in the system somewhere, likely the tank. At 500hrs I'm sure you're well aware of fuel separation and have taken the proper steps to minimize that over the years.  "Soap box time."   It is ridiculous to me that these fuel tanks, do not have a reasonable way for the average boat owner to drain them dry. All that being said hopefully it's a 1x hiccup and I wish you a trouble free season. Cheers

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer

• BWH
    I run Ethanol free almost exclusively, only exception being when unavailable. Also run an occasional can of Sea Foam through it.     
  • maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    I've got a Suzuki 175 which died at idle after coming off of a high speed run but then started right up.  Only happened one time.  Chalked it up to vapor lock.  When you say you turned the key and nothing, did it crank and not start or was it just dead?  If dead, then maybe the neutral safety switch in the control handle is going bad.  Jiggling the handle a bit usually helps.
  • Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    Never considered vapor lock, but vapor lock on an EFI O/B engine, is that a thing?

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer

• BWH
    When the key was turned after dieing, it turned over, but would not start. Sat contemplating options for a few minutes, tried key again and it started. 
  • maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Vapor lock should be less of a problem on these modern outboard engines since they use high pressure fuel pumps that force the fuel into the fuel rails, overcoming any vaporized fuel in the lines.  However, I've seen reports of some Suzuki engines, particularly the DF140, that have had issues with fuel flow in hot weather, with Suzuki actually recommending an extra in-line fuel pump to overcome the fuel flow restriction.   Ethanol fuels can also increase the chance of vapor lock so, if possible. use only ethanol free gasoline.  
  • BWH
    Thanks for the info. Replaced the low pressure fuel filter last night as it was overdue per the motor maintenance schedule. Should have been changed at 400 hrs.   
  • BWH
    Changed fuel filter, logged about 20 hrs over the last few days. No issues.