Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane CC19

Options
bcharlton
bcharlton Member Posts: 1
just looking for some input from fellow Hurricane owners . We just bought a CC19 with a 115 Yamaha on it . The dealer assured us that motor would push the boat appropriately but we are having a lot of issues with the boat plowing terribly and not being able to plane out . If we have 1 or 2 people it dies ok but add any extra and it's awful . Has anyone else had this issue ?

Comments

• omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It could be a lot of things. 

Incorrect prop, incorrect motor height on the trasom, are you tilting the motor up high enough at speed? 

Though personally I would have gone with at least a 150 on that boat. 

use this prop selector
    https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#/step-one

2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Options
    For comparison, my gs211 is probably around the same weight as your boat. I would say my Yamaha 150 is ok at best, I wish I had a few more ponies. I can't imagine lower hp being any fun. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At 115HP, you're just over 57% of the Max rated HP.  @omar174 is correct on possible problems however given its size/weight, putting people in that boat and trying to get it to plane is going to be almost impossible.  

Boats typically get sold underpowered in my opinion.  Having extra HP doesn't mean you need to use them.  And in fact, bigger can cost less.  Boat dealers are always trying to make the price as low as possible, and reducing engine size achieves that.  (I was at the boat show last year with a dealer with a 'Amazing Boat Show Deal' on an 18ft pontoon.  Was a great price, but upon investigation, had a 6HP engine.  Great for trolling but nothing else.

Here's what I mean.

I'll asssume you'll be near Wide Open Throttle (WOT) to get it on plane and cruising at around 30MPH.

Mercury OB - 115HP 4 stroke.  WOT  10.6GPH of fuel
    Mercury OB - 115HP 2 stroke.  WOT  9.9GPH of fuel

Mercury OB - 200HP 2 stroke.  3500 RPMs  6.5GPH of fuel

I have a SS188 that I cruise around 30-35MPH at around 3600RPMs.  You can see I can maintain plane, cruising with 8 people and consume 6.5-7GPH of fuel.  Your boat, equivalent size will most likely never achieve plane and/or cruise at that speed with a 115HP, and would be consuming more fuel to do it.

I suspect the Yamaha consumption to be similar but you can compare for yourself here. (http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/outboard-fuel-consumption-us-gallons)

My guess, is that if you want it for cruising, adding 6-10 people, you'll need 75% of the rated HP (150HP)  If you intend to do that plus lots of watersports such as waterskiing, wakeboarding, tubing, etc, you may opt for the 175-200HP.

And for what its worth, I had a GS172 (smaller Hurricane) previously with a 115HP.  It was underpowered and should've had a 135HP so I'm certain your problem is being underpowered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • UltraGlide
    UltraGlide Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Just traded my SD187 OB for the CC19,same hull just center console up top. I had a Yamaha 15 on the SD and it ran out and performed well, want a bit better performance on the new one so I talked the dealer into a Yamaha 175. The new boat is a beast, planes out great I'm on plane at 3300 RPMs and using less fuel than before. I am a firm believer in the xtra power, you don't always need it but sure is nice when its there for ya. But after owning two a 150 is the smallest power source for these size boats......