Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Newbie Stereo Questions (1999 FD201)

Hi All.  Glad to have joined the group.  I just purchased a 1999 FD201 from the original owner which has seen very little use.  Its got the 5.0 Volvo I/O with 200 hours.  I purchased from an older couple and the gentleman has had a stroke, so the deal was facilitated by the wife.  Unfortunately, she doesn't know much about the boat.  It did come with the owners manual, but it is pretty much useless.  

I got it home and charged the batteries and all lights, blower, bilge seem to work.   It looks to have the stock stereo which is a Sony CDX-1200.  I have had I/O bowriders/pontoons before and had to turn on the accessory switch to enable the radio to work.  When I flip the ACC switch the switch does light up, and the depthfinder turns on, but the radio does not.  I have tried all buttons to no avail.  I also tried with the key on, and that made no difference either.  

I unplugged the wiring harness from the back of the deck and re-plugged it, that didn't work wither.

Is there some basic thing I am missing here for stereo operation?  I am not sure if I have a wiring issue from the battery or if the deck itself just doesn't work.  I don't mind buying a new deck, but i want to confirm that is the issue before going that route.

Also, could I turn the acc switch on, unplug the radio then use a test light to ensure the "power" line going into the harness is hot?

Any other debugging tips?

Comments

• piney
    piney Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    My 2009 220 has a separate radio power switch.  Perhaps your's has one and the label is off ?  Its two ACCY switches power up the two "cig lighter" plugs
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Did you check the inline fuse?
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • cpferris
    cpferris Member Posts: 6
    piney said:
    My 2009 220 has a separate radio power switch.  Perhaps your's has one and the label is off ?  Its two ACCY switches power up the two "cig lighter" plugs
    I don't think that's the case.  I will check this again when I get back home.  Even grab a pic of the control panel.

omar174 said:
    Did you check the inline fuse?
    I thought this as well.  Oddly, I can't see an inline fuse. When I unplug the adapter from the back of the deck and try to track it back I can't pull anymore slack, but can't see any further back under the console (atleast through the access door).  Wish there was easier way to access the wires.
  • cpferris
    cpferris Member Posts: 6
    Ok, so I got this figured out.  The inline fuse wasn't inline at all.  There was a slot for a 10a fuse right below where you plug the wiring harness into the receiver.  The fuse was missing altogether. I popped a new one in and that did the trick!

Still might pop the deck out in favor of something more modern with Bluetooth.

thanks for the insight.