Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

boat cover for outside

Options
steck1212
steck1212 Member Posts: 3
We just bought our first boat -- 2005 Hurricane Fun Deck 201 GS.  It came with a khaki snap-on cover.  A few questions since we're going to keep it on a trailer in our yard uncovered.

1. Will that snap-on cover be OK on the highway going to the lake?
2. Should we put a waterproof tarp over the whole thing while it's in our yard?  I was wondering if it needed to breathe more than what a thick tarp would allow, but we're trying to stop UV damage.
3. We looked at a semi-custom cover at nationalboatcovers.com, but then I saw some questionable reviews about the color bleeding (which scared me) and it not fitting right.  Is there a company you feel comfortable with ordering a cover from for about $500?  Will they really last 5-7 years like they advertise, sitting in the sun and going to/from the lake?  One thing I liked about these covers is they supposedly will cover the bimini top in the down position and the swim platform.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Answers

• davenotacaptain
    davenotacaptain Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options
    I can only answer part of your question.  I have a 2007 GS211.  The snap on cover is fine going to and from lake.  If your boat is like mine I will caution you to remove the seat cushions or at least secure them well if traveling without the cover on.  Had to track all the way back once because every cover blew out and didn't realize til I got home.

I would definitely recommend an additional cover of some sort.  I left mine out with just the snap on cover.  Bad for cover itself actually, and I saw some damage to fiberglass and sticker fading as well.  

As for covers, I am at a loss.  Fortunately, I have an old building I was able to clean out to park boat in now.  Still working on cosmetic issues from the baking and sitting in weather though.  I could not find any myself.  I looked and looked, but didn't find anything I felt comfortable with.  The local boat shop recommended that I reach out to a upholstery shop to have one custom made.  That's when I just started cleaning out my building to make room.
  • bigbuka1
    bigbuka1 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options
    My snap on cover does NOT stay on while trailering.  I have tried it several times and it blows off completely...a real pain to turn around and find.  I have a SD2000 and simply close the window between the consoles and the lower door.  This prevents wind from rolling through the boat and ripping out cushions.  Each year I buy another cheap cover off Amazon for like $50 and cover the boat and the cover.  It keeps the sun off the fiberglass and the sunbrella cover...
    2012 Hurricane SD2000
  • tjspilot
    tjspilot Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I use the mooring covers while it sits at the storage lot. I wouldnt trailer to the lake with the covers on. I like to air out the boat going back and forth to the lake. I am considering a single bungeed cover for long distance and winter storage. They are about $350 which is the cost to shrink wrap for one season.
  • hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Options
    I leave my factory covers on when bringing the boat home from storage, but it's only about 3 miles and no more than 45 mph. They're cheaply made and after a year and a half in the FL sun, mine are brittle and every time I go to take the cockpit cover off, it the colored powder gets all over my shirt as I roll it up.  They still work to keep the sun and weather out of the interior of the boat, but I'll be purchasing a custom cover next Spring that comes down around the rubrail to give better sun protection.
  • Thesteve
    Thesteve Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Options
    I bought a Godfrey shipping cover on eBay. I had to do some trimming, adjustments  and added snaps and some grommets, but well worth it! It is a very durable cover that is soft on the inside and waterproof on the outside. The only drawback I have is that it is a little bulky and heavy. I do not trailer with. I found the 2 piece covers just a pain and they do not cover the bow or stern area. The cover came with all the straps and stantions needed. It is also white so reflects the heat. Very happy so far(In south Florida).
  • TimKLL
    TimKLL Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Options
  • nprcoolcop380
    nprcoolcop380 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Options
    I had a guy here in Florida custom make me a cover for my SD 220. I paid $850.00 for it but this is year 2 and it is perfect. It is a two piece, bow cover then another for the rest of the boat. Well worth the money. I can keep it on during trailering to without any issues. Best money I spent !!
  • alternator
    alternator Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    looking for a cockpit/bow cover for a 2016 hurricane so 201 . The one I have snaps in all around the entire boat. Looking for someone that can make one. 
    Thanks in advance
  • paulhale
    paulhale Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a guy here in Florida custom make me a cover for my SD 220. I paid $850.00 for it but this is year 2 and it is perfect. It is a two piece, bow cover then another for the rest of the boat. Well worth the money. I can keep it on during trailering to without any issues. Best money I spent !!
    Do you think you could share his information?