Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Leaving boat in the water.

titanjas
titanjas Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
I want to leave my boat in the water at the marina this year. Is there anything from a saftey point of view I need to do? I closed the valves for the live wells, it has an automatic bilge pump. I'm attaching a picture of a hole on the port side of the boat. What is it?

Comments

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    The hole is part of Hurricanes "self bailing deck".  You should see a drain hole in the rear port corner of your deck floor for water to drain.

2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • titanjas
    titanjas Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    If you haven't done so already, you may want to have the bottom painted with anti-fouling paint. Unless you plan to pull the boat every 10 days or so to pressure wash it. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • pbolden
    pbolden Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    More important than the bottom paint I would suggest that you have a barrier coat applied before bottom painting.  These boat were not design for season long wet slipping.  I have wet slipped my boat for several years without any problem.  Usually April to October.  It has both a barrier coat and bottom paint.
    United States Coast Guard Aux, VFC, FSO-VE
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    ^^ What do you mean by these boats not being designed for wet slipping? Aren't they just like other fiberglass boats? Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering if there something I should know about since I keep mine in a slip 4 months out of the year.
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • pbolden
    pbolden Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Fiberglass is not  impermeable as once thought.  Water seeping through the fiberglass may eventually cause issues like the dreaded hull blistering or delamination.  Bottom painting does little or nothing to stop water permeability.   A barrier coat is needed to help prevent this from occurring and is applied before bottom painting. 

Is your boat polyester or vinylester fiberglass, you need to know if you are planning on seasonally wet slipping.  Hurricanes are trailered boats designed to be removed from the water after use.  You can certainly leave them in continually for several days, a week, maybe a month without any problems. 

Some unprotected boats may never develop issues after continually being the the water for months while others have blistered after one season.  It comes down to the question of whether you're feeling lucky. 

United States Coast Guard Aux, VFC, FSO-VE