Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

GS 202 Trolling Motor Question

Options
striper pole
striper pole Member Posts: 3
Hey Hurricane Owners!

I recently purchased a 2007 GS 202 and am wondering if anyone has any specs for a trolling motor setup, make, shaft length, mount type, etc...

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sean

Just getting back from vacation and saw this post.  Interestingly enough, I just installed one this week on my 2010 SS188.  It has a very similar hull design, etc that your boat does.

So, here's what I can tell you will work.  55lb thrust MinnKota Trolling motor will work just fine.  If the top of your deck to the waterline is 30" or lower, you can use a 52" shaft.  Otherwise, use a 54" length.

Bow mount will work, requires a 60A breaker (or inline fuse) - based on a 12V installation (requires a separate battery).  From here, you'll need about 22-24 ft of cable to run from the back (battery storage/bilge) to the bow area.  I used 4 gauge, but you may be able to use 6 gauge wire.  Note, anything lower, and the voltage drop may be too much to run the motor correctly or without damage.  Other option, is battery up front with 10gauge wire wire to extend the wire run to the battery.

Hope this helps.  Note:  [link]http://minnkotamotors.com[/link] has a find a motor option you can use for specifics and models.  Hope this helps.  Great for fishing (whole new experience)  If you have any further questions, just post and I'll try to help.

...Nelson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • striper pole
    striper pole Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Nelson.  My boat was pre-wired for the trolling motor, so it has a plug on the bow and wires (four of them) run to a back battery compartment (not the same area as cranking batteries).  I decided to go with the 70# Minn Kota Power Drive V2, which requires 24 volts, so i have two 12v batteries.  I'm unclear about a couple things.
    [OL][*]The Minn Kota instructions say to wire the two batteries in series for 24v output, but the Hurricane trolling motor instructions say not to do this.  The Hurricane diagram show two wires connected to each battery.  I'm going with the Hurricane instructions, but will this delivery 24v needed for the motor?[*]Two plugs for the bow mount plug in came with the boat, one with three wires and one with only two.  The instructions for a 24v setup say to use the three wire plug, but the trolling motor only has two wires to attach to the plug.  What would the third wire on the plug be for? [/OL]
  • nquirk
    Options
    Sean

I don't have the pre-wire harness (regretfully I didn't pick the option).  If I understand, Minn Kota says to do the following:

24V Trolling Motor Wiring Diagram

However, It appears that Hurricane provides 4 wires (I'll assume 2 POS+, 1 each for the POS+ terminal of battery A and B, and 1 for the NEG- of each battery A and B)   I'd guess (but can only guess) that's what they're proposing, but don't understand why?  Is that how they detail it?  I assume it is also wired into the switch panel (with or without breakers) and dependant on main power being switched on? 

If so, I'd stick to their way, but if not, I'd be more inclined to use the wiring process I've shown above, as that's what MK recommends.  Also, you need to ensure the proper rated fuse/breaker is inline as well.  Does the 70lb require a 70A or a 60A (I believe its 1A per lb of thrust for breaker ratings on MK)

As for 2 wire vs. 3 wire, here is a diagram I found including 3 wire.

[image]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/40oldtimer19/Electrics/12-24Vwiring.jpg[/image]

However, in the case of the MK, as you've stated there are only two, so I'd only be using the 2 wire quick connect plug (its how I've wired mine)

Hope this helps... My apologizes as I don't know the Hurricane harness setup so it's difficult to determine exactly the right connect methods but if its simply stand alone wiring and not tied into master power, or AUX switch with breakers, go the MK method.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • nquirk
    Options
    Link didn't come through on last post....

[link=http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolling-motor-resources/trolling-motor-wiring.html]http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolling-motor-resources/trolling-motor-wiring.html[/link]  (good reference site)

Click on Trolling Motor Wiring Diagrams.  (i've linked to the diagram direct below)

[image]http://www.trollingmotors.net/media//24v-trolling-motor-wiring-diagram.gif[/image]

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB