Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Location of trolling motor batteries

Options
rockymax
rockymax Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I am the second owner of a 2013 SS231. The original owner had a MinnKota 112lb thrust motor installed by the selling dealer. The 3 batteries(+100lbs ea.) are installed along with the two starting batteries in the stern port compartment. The three bank battery charger is installed just forward of this compartment under the seat. The 500+ lbs causes the boat to lean to port and the boat balance is not what it should be. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to alleviate this imbalance? Thanks.

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow, 5 batteries!  I thought having 3 on my boat was pushing it.  My fresh water tank is on the opposite side of my boat from the batteries and I keep it full to help keep the balance; I haven't had any listing issues.  If I had 5 batteries I would imagine I might be experiencing something different.  I considered going 36 volts on the trolling motor, but I didn't want 4 batteries on board, so 24 volts it was and I'm not disappointed.  I only use the motor for maneuvering anyway, not trolling.

First thing I would look at is modifying what stowed equipment is located where, keeping the heavier stuff on the side opposite the batteries.

If that doesn't work, you might consider unloading the spare starting battery and carry a Antigravity Batteries Microstart as a backup instead (there are other manufacturers names associated with this product as well).  This way you only use it if you need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-Micro-Start-Starter-Personal/dp/B00FDYYK4A

I arrived to the marina to check on my boat one day (after having it sit for 3 weeks without running it), and my starting battery was stone dead and I mean.... stone dead.  My brother had one of these units with him and said let's give it a try and jump start it.  I was totally doubtful, but the unit fired my engine right up, I was blown away; bought one for myself that day and keep it with me in the car and bring it on the boat.  The Microstart is quite an amazing device.

Although it won't do anything for you at rest, the other thing you could consider is installing adjustable trim tabs so the boat won't list while underway.

Maybe others might have some ideas on this as well.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• skibum
    skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Options