Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Sd 217 tow vehicle

glarose18
glarose18 Member Posts: 3
what vehicles are you using to tow your sd 217 and how does it handle it 

Comments

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Old Chevy Tahoe, 4WD 255hp 5.7L, normal tyres, works well. Tandem trailer has surge disc brakes. It has a long tongue, there's no sway.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Don't often tow, but have a 2000 Chevy 2500 Extended cab 4x4 pickup w/6.0L engine.  No issues.  When I bought the boat I had a GMC Yukon 4x4 with 5.7L that towed with no issues.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Although I'm probably towing at least 1000 lbs more, you are going to be towing at least 5,000 lbs, which requires a substantial, properly equipped tow vehicle.  In my opinion, you are going to want to have one that is rated to handle at least 6,000 lbs or higher.

I tow with a 2007 Ford Expedition EL, 5.4L V-8 4X4 with factory trailer tow package rated at 8,600 lbs.  My previous vehicle was a 1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 4X4.  I love both vehicles but the Ford has been the better vehicle overall between the two (I'm still a big Suburban fan).
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• glarose18
    glarose18 Member Posts: 3
    I have. 2014  f150!with economist just wanted to know if that would handle it well 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a decent publication from Ford on the 2014 F-150 towing capacities.  Looks like the most basic F-150 and 3.7L V-6 with a short bed is at 5,000 lbs.  You can look your model up.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Economists are great, but they'll always lead you off in an unexpected direction and they never agree on anything.

Sounds like the EcoBoost would be fine. More importantly, I'd say, is a transmission cooler and maybe an oil cooler. In the flatlands the continuous drag won't be that much, but in hilly country good engine cooling and brakes are necessary. I pull a camper of about the same mass, and the drag on that box is much greater than the boat's. What's more, the camper's short tongue makes for some sway starting at just over 65mph (which is the highest speed I tow anyway). Long wheelbase is a good thing, except for backing around tight places. On the highway I'd prefer a Suburban, but when launching a Tahoe is easier to manoeuvre.

So if your truck doesn't have transmission and oil coolers, I'd investigate adding them on.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• caseynettles
    caseynettles Member Posts: 69 ✭✭

fairly new Nissan Titan Crew Cab, 20inch factory wheels, aluminum magic tilt tandem trailer with surge breaks....hardly notice it is there, tows very nice actually.

• Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    '07 Toyota Tundra SR5 DC, 4x4, 5.7 L, tow/haul mode, factory tow package rated @ 10,500lbs.  The tandem axle trailer has surge brakes.  Best thing I've done is to tie down the bow eye to the trailer.  This seemed to eliminate the feeling of the boat bouncing around while towing.

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer

• dolfan1967
    dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    2010 Toyota 4Runner 4x4, V6,5000lb...only three tows > 15 miles. From my trailer spot to the ramp is 800 ft apart.
    2013 SD 2200 DC
    Yamaha 150 four-stroke
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
    Bow Cushion
    WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
    Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer
  • mijade
    mijade Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2013 F150 ecoboost with max tow package, we tow our 2012 sd217 5.0 MPI. It pulls it without any problems. We barely knew it was there.  I wouldn't pull without a truck as I believe they are built for "work" , stronger transmission, full frame, better brakes, tranny and oil coolers etc. I am sure smaller vehicles might do the job but at what cost. Maybe burn out the transmission , ruin the brakes etc.
  • mcan3
    mcan3 Member Posts: 9
    Dodge Durango is rated for 6000 lbs if a third row more practical for you than a flat bed.