Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Gas Cap Replacement GS-201

DavidPJ
DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
My '99 GS-201's plastic gas cap is starting to look a little old and I'm concerned it may just break someday. After reading here about gas caps, it doesn't look like there's a easy solution for finding a replacement cap. I would like to have a stainless steel or chrome cap. Any suggestions for a replacement for this boat?
1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    The fuel deck fill should be a standard 1 1/2" diameter, which is most common.  More than likely you have just a screw-in cap without a vent.  Your vent is more than likely internal and molded into the filler neck.  Some boats have a vent tube that runs to a fitting that is installed on the hull, usually located near the fuel fill.  The problem that exists is that some deck fill manufacturers may have their used their own thread designs, so one manufacturers 1 1/2" cap may not fit a different manufacturers 1 1/2" fill pipe.

Great Lakes Skipper has a pretty good selection of fuel fills and caps.  I found one listing that might work for your fill under the "Rinker" name (another Nautic Global Group brand, Rinker and Hurricane share some parts).  It's the exact same cap that is on my boat and was manufactured by Gem Products, which no longer manufacturers them.  Here's the link if you're interested:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-2290489-gem-products-99820-2-1-1-2-in-deck-fill
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• DavidPJ
    DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Thanks cjjdeck. My boat's plastic gas cap is hinged at the top and snaps in place at the bottom. There's a little push button release on the bottom of the cap to open it. The neck is not threaded for a cap.

The link you provided for the cap an filler looks interesting. So I guess the only way to determine what will work is to try to remove the filler neck from the boat? Should the neck come out by just removing the screws attaching it to the hull? Since this isn't a must-do project, I'm afraid of breaking something and not being able to replace it.
    1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture of your gas cap?  I seem to remember seeing some hinged type caps in my searches.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer