Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Towing Tubes

Options
wakitball
wakitball Member Posts: 3
I recently purchased a '99 FunDeck and was wondering if it is safe to pull towables (specifically, a two-person tube) from the U-bolts on the transom. I assume these were initially installed for use as tie-downs when trailering. I tried towing via the ski tow bar and ended up bending it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    wakitball wrote:

I recently purchased a '99 FunDeck and was wondering if it is safe to pull towables (specifically, a two-person tube) from the U-bolts on the transom. I assume these were initially installed for use as tie-downs when trailering. I tried towing via the ski tow bar and ended up bending it. Thanks in advance.

My dealer warned me on the check out ride, not to tow a tube from the ski pylon.  He said he repairs many each year that get bent from tubes.  He recommended using the stern cleats, that you mentioned as towing points for the tubes.  Get yourself a "Y" harness.  The only problem with towing from the stern cleats is that it puts the rope low in the water and so the rope is constantly geting popped by the wake.  It sprays your riders, and makes for a jerky ride.  I got one of these balls (see photo).........I think it is called a booster ball, that will keep the rope out of the wake, and it smooths out the ride.  It is something else to have to blow up, but has worked well so far.

[image]http://ernest-t.smugmug.com/Family/Boating/Boat-4-24-10014/893691424_AkK6F-XL.jpg[/image] 

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • wakitball
    wakitball Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Ernest T - Thanks for the reply and the tip! I'll try it out.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll second everything Ernest mentioned.  I have the exact setup he has and its the safest way to go and most enjoyable for the riders on the tube.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Ablediver
    Ablediver Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I cannot believe you bent the ski pylon?   I have towed two tubes and 5 kids at speed or a 225 lb adult, all without a problem.    You can buy a harness to tow from the tiedown bolts,  but you need to make sure that you have adequate flotion for they tend to get sucked into the prop.
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    I have towed children and adults with my SD2000 using the ski pylon. I have never had any problem. In fact, it doesn't look like it even has any strain on it.

I would think Hurricane would use a product that would meet one's reasonable expectations. Does anybody know if they have changed vendors, used different pylons or installed it differently?

You can get a negative reputation very quickly by having an inferior product.

Steve