Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Cleaning Black Streaks

Options
garrett575
garrett575 Member Posts: 16
I have a SS 188.  I have black streaks on the gel coat from water running off the cover.  I was able to keep up with them by using a sponge and lake water to wipe them down at the sand bar.  However, they are getting increasingly difficult to keep on top of and a sponge with water is not doing the trick.  What do people use for a clearer that will not scratch or fade the gel coating.  

Answers

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Guy at my marina that details boats told me to try acetone.  It works well for removing black streaks on the hull and especially on the rub rail.  I t will also remove any wax you have on the boat, so I do recommend following up with a wet rag to remove any residual acetone, then some new wax.  You don't want to let acetone puddle or sit anywhere, since it is a pretty good solvent, but I've not seen any fading or any damage to the gel coat.

Other option I've heard is a Magic Eraser, but it is sort of like using mild sand paper, so you will remove a little of the gel coat with it.  So, I don't like to use the Magic Erasers on my gel coat.  
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get the same thing and tried various products with varied success.  I ended up using Pure Oceans Fiberglass Polish, a West Marine product, which works well taking the black streaks off.  What I haven't found yet is something to apply to prevent the streaks from forming in the first place.

Here's the link to the polish:
    http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--pure-oceans-nanotec-fiberglass-polish--P004_130_002_510

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    Good info. I recently cleaned the covers because some of those streaks are obviously coming from accumulated crud on the covers themselves.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• garrett575
    garrett575 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Ended up using Meguiar's M5032 Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax. It worked really well. The streaks were not too dark and came right off with little effort. Now I just buff them off with a terry cloth. I'm also going to try 
    Meguiar's M5216 Marine/RV Quik Clean Mist & Wipe - 16 oz. for ongoing cleaning. 

• dolfan1967
    dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    MR Clean Magic Eraser work awesome on the random black streaks on the gel coat and around the snaps.
    httpssyimgcomfzapires12Zr_PeD6v7bvjdkLIb1spKA--YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MzAwO3E9OTU7dz0zMDA-httpimagesdrillspotcompimages219632196320_300jpg

2013 SD 2200 DC
    Yamaha 150 four-stroke
    Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
    Bow Cushion
    WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
    Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer
  • notchy
    notchy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Something you can try that I've been finding a LOT of uses for is Bar Keepers Friend. My boat had black streaks, red streaks(?) etc. on it. This stuff is amazing. Says it is good for fiberglass & it doesn't seem to remove the gloss. I've even used it with a brush on some stubborn stains on the vinyl cushions. I find more uses all the time. Is expensive though. $1.50 LOL. If you call it Boat Keepers Friend, it would sell for $9.50.