Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Proper prop for SD187 w/ 115 Yamaha 4S

Options
hurrig8r
hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
Has anyone tried different props to get quicker planing?  I have a 2014 SD187 with a 2015 115hp Yamaha 4S.  I feel it's pretty gutless and sometimes wish I would've sprung for the 150hp. My top speed with 4 people on board and relatively full fuel and water is about 38 mph, which I'm fine with.  However, I'd like to see if I can get it to plane quicker with a different prop or possibly changing engine mounting height.

I'm currently running the standard Yamaha aluminum prop and I think the engine is mounted on the second hole.

Any thoughts? Anyone played around with this?

Comments

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hurrigator, search the forum for"propeller data", I tried to copy the post to this thread but it didn't work. You will probably want to try the 13 x 15 first because your boat is a foot shorter than mine. Do your top speed testing with less than 1/2 tank of fuel, no ,ore than two people and smooth water. You want to insude that it won't over rev under light loads and the engine will naturally run slower with more weight. Good luck and I know you will enjoy your boat more with the right prop.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The SD187 and SS188 share the same hull.  It's just the top deck that is different including the full windshield.

As FlyingV5 states, there's a bunch of posts on this topic that I'm sure will help you.  Most are on the SS188, but will be the same for the SD187.  As you read some of them, you might find a number of other members also switching to a 4 blade prop to give better hole shot and maintain lower planing speed.  Here's a link to the search:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/search?Search=prop+ss188

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I'll do some reading.  I guess first I need to determine what the stock prop is, size and pitch wise. I'm ok with the top speed, but I hate having to go WOT to get it up on plane and then....wait.