Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat Lift for Sundeck Sport 188 with Yamaha 150 OB

davidlnelson
davidlnelson Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I recently purchased this boat and am awaiting delivery.  In the meantime I am searching for information about boat lifts.  As the wet weight of this boat is listed at just under 4K pounds, would a 4K Shoremaster lift be adequate or do I need to go to the 5K model.  Also the hull dimensions would be helpful for the lift set-up.  Thanks.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a Hurricane owner!

Here's the boat's trailer specs, which gives you what you need for setting up your lift. 

Post some pictures of your boat in the "Love your Hurricane?  Then show it off..." thread located at the top of the forum's home page when you finally get it! 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    davidnelson, go down to the dock on a windy day and watch the boats on their lifts. See which ones are rocking and rolling and which ones are serenely riding out the storm. You might consider a four-point lift for the extra stability. Two-point lifts drop down deeper and so are good for deep vee inboards, but a Hurricane doesn't require deep draft. Also, no need for over-capacity. I got a 6000 lb lift because the 4000lb. tanks were unavailable at the time. Now I have to wait an extra four minutes for the lift to drop. Details, details...
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    As to capacity, I would talk to other Shoremaster owners.  My lift is a Hydrohoist (as are most in this area) which uses polyethylene tanks to raise and hold the boat.  I would not hesitate to put your boat on a 4,000 lb Hydrohoist lift.  However, I believe the Shoremaster system puts more stress on the dock which may impact capacity.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    I've got my 203 sundeck sport/200 optimax on a 4000lb shorestation lift and it works great.
  • davidlnelson
    Thanks for the pic and the post.  My depth differential front to back is abot 2 ft. and it looks like it will work out.  d
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    My depth differential is over 4 ft front to back, it's over my head at the back, I've got the rear legs fully extended and a concrete block under one side where there's a big hole, it took us a few hours to get it set in place, been like that for a year now and hasn't moved.
  • Outdoors15
    Outdoors15 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    I purchased a 5600# Hewitt for my 203 Crossfire with the Tower Canopy.  I think you would be good with a 4000#.  Hewitt actually makes a 4600# that would be right up your alley. I  upgraded to the self leveling legs that you can move up or down with with a drill.  Slick for mid season changes and taking it in and out.

I got the Tower canopy so I do not have to lean my wake tower down each time I put it on the lift.  If you have a Bimini you could make the same case.  

Vertical lifts:
    http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/vertical.html

Canopy options:
    http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/canopy.html
  • cjjjdeck
    Welcome to the forum Outdoors15!

Hey, that new SS203 Crossfire looks like a real beautiful ride, but I haven't seen one in person yet (just admiring the stock web photos).

How about you post some pics in the "Love your Hurricane?  Then show it off.... " thread so we can see the boat!

• Outdoors15
    Outdoors15 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Hey Cjjdeck -  Thanks!  Posted some prep pictures in the show it off section and attached final lift selections.  I went with a DockRite lift and Hewitt Tower Canopy.  She turned out great!  
  • longlake
    longlake Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    cjjjdeck  I'm trying to download the file you have with the specs on the SS 188 OB trailer, but for some reason unable to.  Could you some how post or email me?
  • cjjjdeck
    Sorry longlake, I probably posted it as a Word document and I should have posted it as a pdf.  I'm attaching it here, please let me know that you got it.

• donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    cjjjdeck. Would it be possible for you to post the dimension sheet for the 2014 SS201 also.  Thanks.
  • cjjjdeck
    Yes I can donmat!

• longlake
    longlake Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    cjjjdeck  Thanks so much.  This worked perfect!
  • davidlnelson
    Well the boat lift is installed after quite a  journey.  I struggled with a set-up parallel to the shoreline versus a perpendicular installation and finally settled on the perpendicular one.  Water depth at the front feet was 4'6" and at the back feet just a little over 7 ft.  After getting great advice from a Shoremaster dealer in Center City, MN, I finally ordered a lift from Boat Lift Warehouse in Snow Hill, NC because of the shipping charges.  Boat Lift Warehouse (BLW from now on) told me that they only sold the Shoremaster Shoreline model (also manufactured by Shoremaster in Fergus Falls, MN) because it was more unassembled and therefore easier to ship as they served the entire East Coast.  I ordered the Shoremaster Shoreline 4000 pound lift with electric motor and it was shipped by Estes freight.  When by crew was ready to assemble the lift, we found there were no bolts, washers, nuts, lift cables, winch, parts list or assembly instructions included.  Very frustrating.  This resulted in another shipment which included those parts but did not include the mounting adapter to attach the electric motor to the winch (I bought one from Amazon Prime).  Moreover the lift came with fixed feet rather than the "C-type" feet shown on their website and the legs were only two feet long as opposed to the three feet long legs which are standard on the Shoremaster (again- no mention of this on the website.  As we had to use longer legs (7 ft. legs cut to ~5/6 ft) on the deep-water end of the lift, I had to order these extra and also cross braces.  The legs were shipped from NC and the cross braces from MN.  Finally the motor mount did not fit on the front leg properly and we had to notch the leg (leg weld in an inappropriate place).  Finally the lift was assembled and walked into the lake by 5 men using inflated truck tires around each leg for buoyancy (which were subsequently cut off after deflation and leveling.  I suggest a thorough investigation of lift dealers and what is included in the lift purchase.  I do not feel I was treated as a valued customer by Boat Lift Warehouse in NC.  The folks in MN were very very helpful.