Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Beeping 2011 Hurricane Sun Sport 188 OB

Breeze123
Breeze123 Member Posts: 1

I recently purchase a 2011 Hurricane Sun Sport 188 OB. As a first time boat owner, I am learning everything for the first time. The first time I launch the boat, I keep hearing a beep about a minute after starting the motor.  Anyone have any ideas to share?

Comments

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    What motor and is it a solid beep or intermitent?
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Need to know specific motor to give more advice, but for Yamaha 4 stroke outboards, the buzzer will sound for the following:
    1. Overheat - are you seeing a stream of water out of the overflow (usually on the starboard side of Yamaha engines)?  It is not uncommon for this overflow to get clogged if the engine sits for a while without running.  You can use something small and preferably soft like the inside plastic ink tube of a pen to poke into the opening to dislodge any debris.  (This happens about once a year on my engine, especially after it has been sitting for a while).  Typically rpm will decrease if you are over 2000 rpms.  
    2. Oil pressure problem.  Usually this will also trigger a decrease in rpms, or the motor will shut off.
    3. Water in the fuel.  There is a sensor in the fuel filter on the motor that will sound the alarm if an excess of water is detected in the fuel.  If the buzzer goes off after a few minutes then this is the most likely cause.  
    4. Lanyard is removed with engine running or when trying to start the engine without the lanyard attached.  This will not be your problem, since the engine is running, but I included it to complete the list. 
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • Barefootwilson
    Barefootwilson Member Posts: 5
    Check fuel filter on back of outboard, it has a float that detects water in it. Unscrew filter bowl, dump water, reinstall bowl.