Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Anchor fit

Options
hurrig8r
hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
Any thoughts on the fit of this anchor? It's on a 2014 SD187. 8# anchor. I don't like how the end of the shank sits directly on the V of the hull. The entire thing fits snugly, so I don't think it'll bounce around or anything, it just doesn't seem like the best design, but I think a smaller anchor wouldn't be heavy enough and that the stock of a smaller one might not be wide enough to sit in the grooves. Concerned it'll wear on the fiberglass after a while.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as the anchor locker door closes properly, the fit will be as good as it gets.  If you think the end of the shank will hit the inner hull, then put something like a neoprene can koozie or something like that over the shank end to cushion it.

I couldn't find an anchor that actually fit in the anchor locker properly.  I ended up purchasing a chene (pronounced "shane") anchor which is much lighter than other anchor designs.  It has worked very well so far.  I just tie it off the anchor cleat so it minimizes its movement.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• hurrig8r
    Options
    Thanks.  It turned out that, when I took the shrink wrap off the shank obviously came loose and it laid more appropriately, albeit against the hull.  I'm going to keep an eye on it and if anything starts to wear on the inner hull, I'll put some sort of foam there.
  • Fairdealing77
    Fairdealing77 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    cjjjdeck: Your post is helpful. I have a 2007 GS 194 Fun Deck. The cleat is on center, not off to the side as shown in hurrig8r's photo above. I've tried a couple of different anchors and the top plate won't clear the cleat. Did you purchase the chene anchor locally or online? If online, which company? Size? Thank you.
  • cjjjdeck
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I purchased the anchor on-line.  I decided to buy the model that handles the biggest boat they offer since the price difference was not that much different between models.

Here's a link to Chene Anchor's website so you can read more on the product.  You'll find that the anchor is designed to operate with out a rode chain.  Just connect your anchor rope direct to the anchor.  The other benefit to this anchor is that it works with a 2:1 ratio of anchor rope length to water depth verses 7:1 ratio of most other anchors:

http://www.cheneanchor.com

I bought it from Overton's.  They currently have free freight on orders over $25.00 and 10% off everything.  Here's a link to their website page for the anchor:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Chene-Anchor-recommended-for-12-25-boats&i=33822
    Post edited by cjjjdeck on

• hurrig8r
    Options
    I just looked more at the Chene and like it. Does it hold pretty well on sandy bottoms? I may purchase one later this year. I think, for now, I'm going to put a piece of rubber hose around the end of the shank. I've decided I still don't like the way it sits/bounces/rubs on the inner hull.
  • cjjjdeck
    Options
    The lake I primarily boat on has mostly a muddy/weedy bottom and the anchor has worked very well for me in that.  The dimension that changes from one size to the other on this anchor is the size of the fluke blades.  One review I read stated that the anchor worked well in mud and sand but because of it's light weight, it didn't work as well in heavy weeds or rocky bottoms.  If you get the largest size it will be the heaviest and have the larger size flukes.