Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Sea star steering

Options
89checkmate
89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
Just noticed that one of the bend restrictors on my 2015 203 steering lines was missing, also the fittings should be pointed the other way with a loop so the lines aren't being pulled in and out of the boat all the time.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Having an I/O, I'm not as familiar with the outboard systems installed.  It's my understanding that the SeaStar steering system is hydraulic.  Wouldn't the missing bend restrictor actually be a strain relief for the hydraulic hose?  If they are hydraulic hoses, the lines shouldn't be moving, just the hydraulic ram.  Of course I might be misunderstanding the whole thing here, so please feel free to correct/educate me.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When you turn the motor the ram moves on the cylinder so yes the hoses do move when you turn the motor, says right in the sea star installation instructions to loop the hoses on opposite side where the lines come out of the boat so the lines can move freely, this morning I removed the storage bin to access starboard side where the lines run and I found the bend restrictor and was able to fish it out and put it on so that's good, I also have plenty of hose to pull it out and route them the way instructions say, but after getting access to the lines everything seems to move in and out freely and I can turn motor at any tilt position and there are no kinks so I think I might just leave it, sure glad I found the bend restrictor tho and the lines are still in good shape, here's what it should look, any boat I've ever had had them running like this.

• 89checkmate
    Options
    Bored here waiting for spring sitting in the garage so I took a few pics to better show how the lines move in and out of the boat cjjjdeck.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got it now!  The middle section moves where the hoses connect, makes sense.  The long length of the restrictor makes sense now too.  Thanks for educating me!  Glad you found the other bend restrictor, must have gotten caught when pulling the hoses through.  So now I guess the question is if the outboard was installed at the factory, why didn't the dealer correct the installation condition?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    Options
    The dealer must of missed it, in their defence it was 90 degrees the day the boat showed up and it was our last day of vacation so they basically looked it over quick and we were headed for the lake, I did have it at the dealer after that though, I'm surprised I didn't notice it at first, so far the build quality is much better than other boats I've worked on, very happy with the purchase, only got 21 hours on it last year because we didn't get it till mid August, can't wait till the ice goes and we can log some more hours.