Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

sundeck sport 231 SS

Options
tmitchell5188
tmitchell5188 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in General Discussions

We're looking at the Hurricane Sundeck Sport 231 SS with a 200 HP Yamaha outboard. Any owners of this boat, or the older Fundeck version have any comments about it? This is the model that is a cross between a center console and deck boat. We're looking at boats for cruising and something we can fish out of, and a large bimini top to keep the sun off of us.

This looks like what we need.

Thoughts?

Comments

• tmitchell5188
    tmitchell5188 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The primary use for the boat will be in SW Florida Cape Coral/Ft Myers area. Some intercoastal waterway.
  • captainrandy
    captainrandy Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I am in the process of purchasing a 2006 sundeck gs 231. I like the center console model for my fishing activities and the wife likes the comfort part. Looking to have this for a long time.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It can certainly do what you want it to do from a size and fishing capability.  I fish 2-3 comfortably in my 188 SS so the 231 is more than capable to cruise and fish.

Perhaps @cjjjdeck can chime in here on the hull.  Can't tell from the pics on the hull design.  If this is a deep V hull great, but if its the hull design similar to my SS188, I'd be concerned with handling in intercoastal waterways in chop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Perhaps cjjjdeck has already answered this question here:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/2729/#Comment_2729

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • MikeP
    MikeP Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Options
    I just got a 231 SS a couple weeks ago.  Are you planning on putting a trolling motor on it?  Mine came pre-wired for one with a plug, but the only way to put one on is to attach some kind of extension/mounting plate to the deck.  Otherwise the shaft will not clear the rub rail when deployed.
    2014 SS 231 w/ Yamaha F250
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nquirk said:
    Perhaps cjjjdeck has already answered this question here:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/2729/#Comment_2729

Sorry, I don't know how I missed this thread!

nquirk is correct, the SS211 & SS231 have 12.5 degree deadrise, so it is the flattest of the Hurricane hulls.  Although the 23 ft length of the SS231 does help a lot on providing a decent ride in mild to medium chop, it still is a category 5 hull so it is not designed for deeper ocean.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• njm130
    njm130 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Reposting here also...

I just bought a SS 231 for the versatility of me wanting to fish inshore saltwater and fresh water lakes and my wife wanting a pontoon for party/entertaining.  I'm moving from a 23' deep V center console (2007 Pro Line 23 Sport) and I can tell you this, do not expect it to ride like a deep V.  It is a completely different animal.  We feel all chop and boat wakes due to the 12.5 dead rise over the 21 dead rise of the deep V.  This boat is not designed to take a beating and we slow waaaay down for 1 ft seas/wakes in the bay.  The console and T-top are not secured enough for rough water, but calm seas and it handles like a dream... turns on a dime too.

That said, we love it!  We can nose in to shallow water and walk right off the bow to the beach instead of anchoring off shore and wading in.  It is great in skinny water with a 14" draft so we can scoot all the way in on sand bars, coast lines, fishing back bays, etc.  It has a low profile and therefore low sail (wind pushing boat) so is easier to maneuver with one engine than my CC.  Also, you get the room of a 26-28' CC in a 23' boat.  

Just have to choose your poison.
    2014 SS 231 w/Yamaha 200