Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Ski pylon strength

Options
HydroCanis
HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
We've been through not using the fixed ski pylon for tubing. But what about something else it's not designed for—supporting a hammock? I assume it's designed to support a load from maybe 120 degrees about the stern. But given it's mount, will it likely support a similar force to pulling a skier but from a forward direction? (Boat not being under power!) I'm thinking that attaching a line to the top of the bow-mounted fishing chair pedestal and the pylon. There wouldn't be much swinging due to the narrow wraparound windshield passageway, but it still might be a comfy spot to relax. Thoughts?
David
2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be interested to see how it would setup but I'd suspect for the occasional relaxing on the water it should be strong enough to support it.  I'd be more concerned with the chair pedestal supporting it.  The ski pole, without the 1000s of lbs of force from a tube should be fine supporting a few hundred in a hammock.  
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I was wondering whether there's any reason the pylon wouldn't be as strong if pulled from the wrong direction as it is when pulled from astern. I don't know how it's anchored/mounted to the hull. Good point about the pedestal. Not really designed for much of a side load. You might've saved me from crying over damage to the pedestal mount. Maybe if I rigged some sort of line from the top of the pedestal forward and under to the front tow hook to transfer the load that way. For that matter, I guess that sort of rig would work on the pylon, attached to the tubing Y-adapter, then to the tow eyes.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6