Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2011 Sundeck 187 OB questions

Pseudomind
Pseudomind Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

Hello,

Where can I locate a specification sheet on this boat?  I am trying to locate parts for one thing, e.g. a replacement snap on cover for one.

1. Where are the bilge pumps?

2. Do the round covers located within the transom area in front of where the motor is mounted screw off?

3. I would like to install factory docking lights, but cannot find a photo or brand name for them.

4. What is the fuel tank capacity for the 2011 187 Sundeck OB?  I have read 32 gallons, 36 gallons, and 52 gallons.

5. Is there an email support address to Hurricane (Godfrey) support?

6. I need the snap in cover which goes below the windshield to block the wind.

7. I sit okay to cruise with the windshield folded back?

Thanks

2011 Hurricane Sundeck 187 OB

2002 Sea Ray Sundancer 380

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

1. Where are the bilge pumps?

In the bilge area.  Right in front of the motor there should be access ports that if removed you can see the bilge pump (only one).  It empties out starboard side.

2. Do the round covers located within the transom area in front of where the motor is mounted screw off?

See above.  Yes, and this will give you access to your bilge pump.  (and to your livewell pump if equipped with a livewell)

3. I would like to install factory docking lights, but cannot find a photo or brand name for them.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for this.  I've seen many folks buy 12V lighting for cars and install them (stainless steel, LED type driving lamps)  wire them into the docking light switch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, on with some more answers:

3. I would like to install factory docking lights, but cannot find a photo or brand name for them.
    From the pictures on the website it looks like they are using the units manufactured by ITC Marine, they are halogen (they are what they use on my model as well).  Here's a link:  
    http://itc-marine.com/product/halogen-docking-flood-light

4. What is the fuel tank capacity for the 2011 187 Sundeck OB?  I have read 32 gallons, 36 gallons, and 52 gallons?
    52 gallons

5. Is there an email support address to Hurricane (Godfrey) support?
    Support is usually handled through Hurricane dealers (it would be to your advantage to get to know one anyway).  However, buying a boat used from a private owner or non-Hurricane dealer I understand could be an issue.  You can put your zip code in the Dealer Locator search field on the home page of the website to find dealers close to you or you can contact Hurricane at info@nauticglobalgroup.com.

6. I need the snap in cover which goes below the windshield to block the wind.
    My dealer made one for my boat that matched my bimini top material (it did not come from Hurricane).  Or, you can go to any marine upholsterer in your area to have one custom made.

7. I sit okay to cruise with the windshield folded back?
    I will leave mine open when underway trolling or with no wake.  If you're on plane fasten it down.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Pseudomind

Thanks nquirk for you answers.

I was hoping to locate a 2011 specification sheet but so far no luck.

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    2. Any suggestions for lube? I've tried a couple of drops of oil but they still stick. Wax?

6. Since that piece is small, I'd just cut a piece of Sunbrella or Sundura a bit large, set each snap to get them perfect, then cut off the excess and stitch a border around it. Though I'm not sure the lightweight sewing machine is up to the task.

7. I forget to close it so often that I'm going to attach a second rubber bumper to the swinging part so the piano hinge won't be subject to a twisting force (the one is at the top). But leaving it open over 20mph will clean anything lightweight out of the stern seating area!
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cjjjdeck
    Yes nquirk!  Always great answers!

Here's the spec page for the SD187 OB out of the Hurricane catalog

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    While access would be difficult, you can view the bilge pump from the battery access opening.  The bilge pump should be wired directly to the battery.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • Pseudomind
    I wish to thank all of you for your replies, I am especially thankful for the specification sheet, call it anal if one must but I like to keep the documentation and read it.  I am on the East coast and subject to Coast Guard inspections and I prefer to know as much as I can.  When one Captains a boat they are responsible for all passengers.

• Pseudomind

I just swapped out the stereo on my boat with a Sony MEX-M70BT, I chose this model as I like that if has two USB connections, plus you can use Bluetooth or even make calls through it via your phone, if one choses, as it also has a microphone which comes with it.  I typically just use a USB Flash drive which I have about 500 songs on it and set it to shuffle play.  The new small USB flash drives even allow me to close the front cover while in use.

My question is I only have two speakers on my boat mounted in the cockpit area, however the stereo plug has connections wired for four speakers.  Wired like this from Hurricane.  I have heard that Hurricane ran wires for bow speakers and that they are in place.  Anyone know where I need to be looking to find these wires?

Has anyone installed a VHF radio on there boat?  If so where did you mount the antenna?  I am thinking about obtaining a clamp on mount and outing it on the starboard side front Bimini pole with a six foot antenna. I can fold it down parallel to the gunwale.  I would need to do is run the antennae cable inside using one small hole past the remote to the inside dash area.

I imagine a few have mounted  a chart plotter, I know a five inch will work, I am thinking about a Garmin 547vs as I also want the depth capability using a non-thru the hull transponder.  I am not much interested in fro fishing use, just depth indication.  I do not want to use a transom mount, but maybe go down under the anchor locker area.

Has anyone already mounted any of these items?  Any major obstacles to be aware of?

Thanks

• cjjjdeck
    Usually the wiring is in place at or near the factory speaker locations which are just under the left and right front seat pads.  The wiring runs along the top edge of the storage compartments.

Here are some links that address both the VHF radio antenna and Fish finder/Chartplotter/GPS installation location issues.  I use a handheld VHF radio that I can link to the mast antenna I assembled and mounted on my bimini top so I can get maximum performance.:

Antenna mount link:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1254/vhf-radio-installation

Fish Finder/Chartplotter/GPS mount location link:

Hope these help.  Post any other questions you may have!

• Pseudomind

Thanks cjjjdeck. On my boat the panel in front of the helm chair (has the foot rest in it and a shelf above) is a plastic panel fastened into a cutout in the helm station fiberglass.  I plan on mounting the radio mount upside down affixed to this, the main problem I am going to have is running the antenna cable inside of the gunwale from back near where the Bimini anchor running light comes out to up inside the helm.   This means a hole drilled into the fiberglass back near the Bimini light cable connection from the gunwale.

What type of portable VHF radio do you have?

• cjjjdeck
    I chose the Standard Horizon HX851.  They have a strong reputation for quality and reliability, I like having the DSC/GPS feature and it had an extra watt of transmit power over most other handhelds (6 watts vs. 5 watts).  I don't boat in deep ocean, but I do boat on bigger lakes and rivers on occasion, so I didn't necessarily need the power of the 25 watt models.  I did want to maximize the performance of what I had so I took advantage of fabricating an easily removable/pivoting mast antenna.  Icom also makes a quality radio.

Here's a link to the model I chose:
    http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=CE54753DAEF82FF5498D5C3153D6E29B&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

• Pseudomind
    Has anyone ran any wires/cable up inside the gunwale behind the throttle remote control?  From the forward Bimini mount to up under the cockpit(behind the dash)

• Pseudomind

Okay another question,  I am pretty sure my gauges are  Yamaha's Command Link which indicates there must be a Command Link bus bar.  My findings thus far indicates this is NMEA 2000 so that one can get a cable and connect a chart plotter to the bus bar and monitor a variety of motor functions, water pump pressure, Engine temperature, and  fuel burn rate being  a few of the items.

I will be installing a Garmin 741XS within the next few days which does have engine monitoring features, has anyone else done this?  Any issues or concerns to look for when connecting?

Thanks

• Pseudomind

Gee it just seems I have many questions.

Is there a fresh water drain connection?  I have been reading a bit that there is a fresh water pump, but if one wishes to drain the tank is there a valve one can open to drain the tank? 

On another item now I am finding out there are NMEA 2000 Blue, Red and black networks.  I am finding Yamaha interface cables for sale which state they will only work on NMEA 200 red networks.  Just what is the difference?  I read someplace that the red and black are the same. any ideas?

NMEA 2000 Red

NMEA 2000 Black

NMEA

• cjjjdeck
    My fresh water tank does not have a drain.  I have to use one of the sprayer/faucets and pump the tank out using them.