Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Factory Cover

RDean
RDean Member Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in General Discussions
Are our covers Sunbrella? I have a 2013 187SD and every time I take the cover off or put it on I am covered in a blue dust. It leaks onto the boat as well. I spent about $100 treating it with 303 Aerospace protectant so it is not from neglect. Anyone else have this?

Comments

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Weird, I've got a new 203 O/B that I tarped about 10 times last year after I got it and never had any of that.
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    You mentioned you use 303 Aerospace Protectant.  Did you mean the 303 Fabric Guard?  I have used the Fabric Guard on my covers for many years with great results.  I use the 303 Protectant on the vinyl, rubber, and stainless steel.

If you are using the Protectant maybe there is a difference (I always get skeptical and believe that often companies just repackage the same product for marketing purposes) that is causing this.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • RDean
    RDean Member Posts: 4
    You're correct. I used the Fabric Guard. The Protectant is what I use on my vinyl. I used it as it is what's recommended by Sunbrella for UV protection as well as being water repellent. I am not sure what is causing this as Sunbrella is not supposed to bleed, but I get dirty with blue dust every time I deal with the cover.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The factory cover on my 2010 Hurricane is made by Outdura.  Here is the info for this material:  "We use only 100% Dolan® solution dyed acrylic fiber. Solution dying is a unique process in which the pigment or dye is added, along with UV stabilizers, while the fiber is still in viscous form. This locks the color in so that it cannot be faded by the sun or even bleached out with chlorine bleach!"  

It sounds like this stuff would be pretty impervious to causing stains, and I have not experienced any problems with mine over the past 4 years.  I also use 303 Fabric Guard.  I'm guessing you have something else.  I know that Hurricane has used Sunbrella products in the past, but my guess their business goes to the lowest bidder for each particular model year.

Cheaper fabric will "sun rot" which can cause exactly what you are experiencing, since the fabric essentially turns to dust.

The Outdura material has a 6 year warranty.  Look for a tag on the cover.  If it Outdura it should have one, and you could get a replacement.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner