Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Another Trailoring question

1pointofview
1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
OK, I have a 2013, ss118.  I drive it 1.5 hours to the lake pretty regularly and to the coast from Nashville-Destin once a year.  Last year, my bimini started to bend and then broke.  I made a temporary fix and started to remove the entire frame while pulling until I got a new frame.  I replaced my aluminum with a steel frame and I am very happy with the new frame.

But, here is my question. I think the reason the frame failed was because of the wind resistance of the bimini canvas and cover.  I think the steel frame is going to hold up but I am starting to wonder if on the long drives, will it be better to remove all the covers and canvas top when I drive to the beach.  I will strap the poles together so they don't rattle and such, but wanted to make sure folks here don't see any negatives with that.

I always hated looking back and see the bimini rattling so I figured removing all the resistance would be better for aerodynamics and to save all the poles and connectors.  Any feedback with that? thanks
2013 Hurricane SS188
115 Yam
Magic Tilt Trailer
Hotty Toddy

Comments

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Makes sense to me. My zipped up bimini cover flopped a bit when towing faster than, say, 45mph, so I wrapped a couple of bungee cords around it to keep it tight against the frame and stowed top. Much better. And yes, steel is a lot more elastic than aluminum, so I would expect it to be more resistant to deformation. But what you're saying, taking the bimini off the frame... I might go do that. No point in letting it sit in the weather during the winter.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• 1pointofview
    I started wrapping my top with bungees as well and it helped with stabilizing the frame but like you said, over 45 mph and it just looks like it is getting pounded.  It will add some time to getting the boat in the water but will probably help the canvas last longer as well being it will not be taking a 7 hour, 70 mph beating back and forth to the coast or the 1.5 hour drive to the lake. 
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @1pointofview, do you lower your bimini down with the shorter support bar or keep it upright?  Also, do you have a boot over the bimini?

I suspect you do however I have a 2010 SS188, keep it covered with the boot and lowered when towing and have had no issues on 45-60 mins towing at speed avg between 60-70 MPH.

Just curious.  However, I am more concerned that the 2010 model bimini use PVC brackets which become weak in the sun and will deteriorate and fail.  They are the weakest chain in the link in the bimini in my opinion.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 1pointofview
    yes, I lowered the bimini down and I have the vinyl/leather boot/cover.  I have the vinyl brackets but will be replacing them come spring.  I received the new metal frame at the end of the season after I had pretty much packed the boat up for the winter
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • HydroCanis
    Just wondering if your new frame is already drilled for the anchor light (and if so, whether you'll need to feed wires through it).
    David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• 1pointofview
    when I got my new frame, from the nautic/hurrican manufacture, It came with the light and wires already there. It did not have a new canvas but my old one went on perfectly.  THe only thing I will have to do is splice the connector (behind the captain seat).  so for me, everything was plug and play...
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • HydroCanis
    Good deal. No fuss, no muss.
    David