Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Live well drain plug?

jvarrati
jvarrati Member Posts: 10
I'm new to the forum and just purchased a used fun deck 22 ft 1994, The live well was full of water when I bought it so I pulled the tube and it still did not drain... I manually pumped out the water and noticed a plug in the whole should this be there? I talked to someone at west marine and they told me it was probably a pressure valve that would work when I went out to the water??? doesnt make sense I took some closeups any thoughts????

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you check the valve in the bilge area?  The outlet line usually has a ballcock valve that needs to be open to drain.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • jvarrati
    Thanks nquirk I will check 

• jvarrati
    ok anyone know what this is???     It was upside down stuck in my livewell drain there was a oring around the top part as shown in the other pics. Looks like another boat part????

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    That part controls how much water comes in to the baitwell.  It screws in to the water inlet.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• jvarrati
    So it causes an obstruction to the water flow it must have been loosened it self to where it fell into the well and plugged up the drain. Weird in order for that to happen the post must not have been inserted?  :# So is there an issue using the bait well without this? will it have to much flow and not drain fast enough?

thanks cj
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    If I understand correctly, you can still use the livewell without it on the inlet but the real purpose of this is twofold.

One, it allows you to direct the water spray downwards.
    Two, the dispersed spray will create more bubbles (and much smaller) to help better aerate the water better.  Smaller bubbles stay suspended in the water longer allow them to dissolve.

However, #2, is less important if you run it frequently to cycle the water supply.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    You understand its function exactly.  I should have guessed what it was from the first picture you posted.  I don't know why it's it looks so beaten up.  All it does is allow you to adjust how fast you want the water to come in or circulate.  Removing it gives you full flow.  You'll have to try it to see if the pump volume overpowers the drain capability.  If not, you probably won't need to use it.

• jvarrati
    That was me beating it up! trying to get it out it was really stuck in there not sure what it even was I had a screw driver prying under the lip and hit the threads which I could not even see.

• jvarrati
    Quick question so are the threads standard could I go to home depot and purchase quick disconnects so when I use the well have a hose tip to set the flow rate and when I want to rinse off some fish stuff hook a 10 ft hose to it?
  • jvarrati
    Thanks Guys this forum really helps me
  • cjjjdeck
    jvarrati said:
    That was me beating it up! trying to get it out it was really stuck in there not sure what it even was I had a screw driver prying under the lip and hit the threads which I could not even see.

LOL!  Not knowing what it was, I would have done the same thing.  I'll have to remind myself not to drop mine into the drain!

I would imagine it is a standard PVC plumbing thread.  I would check mine for you but it is in winter storage.  Interesting opttion for as raw water washdown.  If you decide to try that, post some pics of the project!

• jvarrati
    Will do!! thanks again for all your help!!
  • jvarrati
    I bought the assembly from West Marine unscrewed the piece i needed and installed in my assembly no problems now the live well sprays a nice spray filling up and aerating very nice.
  • cjjjdeck
    Awesome!