Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

WENT TO REMOVE BAMBOO FLOOR FOR WINTER STORAGE & EVERY SNAP SHEERED OFF AT FLOOR (STOPPED AT 6)

COMPOUNDII
COMPOUNDII Member Posts: 1
THOUGHT THEY LIKE JUST ABOUT ALL HARDWARE ON MY HURRICANE WERE STAINLESS STEEL BUT THE LOOK TO BE ALUMINUM. HOPED TO GET AT LEAST ONE SEASON OUT OF THESE.
LOVE THE BOAT BUT THIS WAS A BUMMER. IS THERE A CONTACT AT HURRICANE TO VENT WITH?

Answers

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I would bring the mats to your dealer to take a look at them.  He can probably replace the snaps as well.

I have been using a snap lubricant product from Overton's that has been working very well.  I use it on the mooring cover and carpet snaps.  It may prevent what occurred with your mat.  Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Premium-Snap-Zipper-Lube-0-4-oz-tube&i=718072
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Ouch. Hope it didn't rip the holes larger in the fabric.

I used Chapstick, just a tad on each snap, and it's lasted for 3 months now. Beeswax would probably be good, too. Before that, they were terribly stuck. It wasn't corrosion. I think mine are nickel plated brass, but I'm not sure. They could be SS. The circular spring inside is most likely steel, and probably stainless. Other common metals don't have the elasticity of steel. By the way, I replaced the broken ones with common clothing snaps and they've been fine. I was concerned about their corrosion resistance, but people would get mighty agitated if their clothes rusted in the washing machine.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• COMPOUNDII
    COMPOUNDII Member Posts: 1
    NO HOLES IN THE FABRIC, BUT THE PROBLEM IS THE SNAPS SHEER OFF AT THE FLOOR LEAVING THE HEAD IN THE BAMBOO FLOORING. I DID USE VASELINE ON THE COVER SNAPS & THE CARPET SNAPS BEFORE INSTALL. THE COVER HAD NO PROBLEMS ALL SEASON BUT THE FLOOR SNAPS SHEER AT THE BASE LEAVING THE SCREW SHAFT IN THE DECK. I EVEN USED THE PLASTIC WEDGE SUPPLIED WITH THE BOAT TO REMOVE THEM BUT RESULTS WERE THE SAME. I'M SURE THE SALT WATER HAS MUCH TO DO WITH IT BUT I RINSE DOWN W/FRESH AFTER EVERY TRIP. ANYONE KNOW THE WARRANTY ON THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM? 
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    You're doing all the right things.  Maybe the snaps were poorly installed originally.  Most snaps are nickle plated brass.  Marine upholsterers in our area don't even use aluminum.

Here's the warranty right from the Owner's Manual:

"The carpeting, the canopy fabric and furniture upholstery is 5 years"

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• jim40
    jim40 Member Posts: 12
    Maybe their pull the dot snaps