Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SHIFTING IN AND OUT OF GEAR HAS GRINDING SOUND

Options
RuddsRetreat
RuddsRetreat Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
is it common to hear that grinding sound when shifting in and out of gear?  I have a 2004 Mercury EFI 150hp 2 stroke..  It shifts no problem but I hear that noise and want to make sure its ok

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The dog clutch (or clutch dog depending on who you talk to) on these will grind if you slowly shift them in and out of gear.  By design, they're more accommodating to you doing it quickly.  You'll see towards the end where the gear shows you the dogs on it around 3:10.  These are rubbing against the opposing dogs when your do it slowly as opposed to making contact and slipping in to connect with the opposing ones when turning. 

This is a Johnson lower unit but the same principles and similar design on this as other outboards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCKM99k1NsU

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    As nquirk says, shift quickly. The idea is to engage the dogs without repeatedly banging them together. That grinding noise will eventually round off the dogs and the transmission will pop out of gear and need repair. Try to make them come together with a single loud thunk and it will last longer. And remember, "A boat is a hole in the water that we pour money into."
  • RuddsRetreat
    RuddsRetreat Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Options
    thanks for the replies,  I just wanted to make sure that it was running properly.  I will try to engage quicker to avoid damage later!