Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New to deck boats

Options
dog
dog Member Posts: 6
 I'm not new to boating . i have been boating all my life, 40 plus years. I'm looking for a 20ft to 22 ft hurricane deck boat. It will be used 2002 to 2010 that is what will be in my budget . An outboard is also a nessity. I have owned i/o 's and do not care for them. Manny boat years have there goods and bads about the. what year and what modles should I avoid . and which years and models are the best.  I have learned from reading these fourms that a 150 hp engine is a essaty on decks above 20 ft. any and all help or sugestions are apricated.

Doug O

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm happy with my 217SD Hurricane.  21 ft., hits around 40 mph with a Yamaha 150 outboard.  Other models you might want to look at include the 201, and 202.  All these models share the same hull, so the ride and power requirements are very similar.  If you want more of a pontoon type of layout, then the Fundeck series may be of interest. 
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is important for you to let members what kind of body of water you are primarily going to be boating on.  The under 20ft models will get bumped around more with rougher waters.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• dog
    dog Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks . I will be boating in rivers and some larg lakes, Smith mt, Kerr, Deep creek . Mabe once a year some brackish water for crabbing.
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re your comment about good years and bad....The moderators will correct me if I am wrong, but Hurricane has been building these boats for many years with minimal changes (until the hull redesign on the 4 digit models 2200/2400/etc), so I don't believe there are really any particular years you should avoid.  My 2000 SD 217 is essentially the same boat as the 2014 SD 217.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    I concur that 150hp is nice for the SD217. Not sure about recent years, but the 217s were rated for up to 225hp. I wouldn't think a 115hp would be quite enough.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6