Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

1996 Hurricane deck boat fundeck 196

Options
fatboy
fatboy Member Posts: 5
On my deck boat the take up tube in the plastic gas tank is blocked will probably have to remove the plastic tank as can't get the nut off on the tank to get to the tube, since is part of it the tank. Tank is under the deck with a six inch access hole. The motor starves for gas at 4000rpms runs good at 3000 but not wide open. Have changed all gas lines and primer bulb. Blown out gas vent tube it is clear. If I disconnect and put a separate five gallon tank it runs great this is why I feel it has to be the take up tube in the tank. Any help or suggestons would be great.

Comments

• powerhouse
    powerhouse Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options
    IWont be of much help but best of luck fixing the problem
    2002 FD196F/Yamaha 115
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    FIRST, let me advise you to use all precaution and not do anything dangerous or potentially damaging. Now having made a disclaimer, in automotive repair, when the fuel pickup is obstructed and inaccessible without extreme measures, there was always one last thing to try. Frequently the plastic mesh strainer in the tank is plugged with lacquer from alcohol in the fuel. This operation is best done with low fuel level in tank. Open the gas cap to let pressure off and put a compressed air nozzle to the offending pipe. Gently apply pressure and listen closely or have an assistant listen at the filler neck for any sound that would indicate a plug blown out or the strainer blown off the end of the pipe (like a popping sound). If you don't rupture the pipe above the bottom of the tank you just may clear it. Be sure to put a filter in line to compensate for no in-tank strainer.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't done this already, just a crazy thought;  have you tried blowing air through the pickup line back towards the tank?  It might dislodge enough crud to have you take the boat out and see if it will hit full throttle.  If it does then at least you know for sure that's your problem.  Or maybe, if your lucky, it might operate OK for a while.

Unfortunately, tanks are installed before the top deck is mated to the hull.  This leaves only two options that I know of.  If the current deckplate opening isn't in a good position to get to where you need to be to get access to the tank, you can install another deckplate (I know, not the most attractive solution).  Or the top deck section need to be separated from the hull section. 
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• fatboy
    Options
    Thanks FLYINGV5
    Are you saying take the gas cap off go down the  gas line with compressed air and it may blow the screen off of the pickup tube.   Of course first empty the tank for saftey reasons.  
    Fatboy
  • fatboy
    Options
    cjjdeck
    Thanks cjjdeck I have tried what you suggested already no luck.
    Fatboy
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hah, FlyingV5 and I must have been typing at the same time, I didn't see his response!
    By the way, excellent advice FlyingV5!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, cjjjdeck, great minds think alike! The idea is to blow backward down the supply line. You might want to use a pressure regulator or just be real steady on the button, but start out gently and listen. If air flows freely and you hear lots of bubbles, the pipe is open. If you want to get real scientific, you can tee in a pressure / vacuum gauge and identify the problem area. Have you checked the filter(s)? My Yamaha has a filter separator on the engine and a screw-on filter in the hold.