Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Sun deck 237 I/O front hatch cover

Options
silvapv1720
silvapv1720 Member Posts: 7

The front hatch cover( the one that is on the front floor)  on my 237 I/O has cracked and I'm afraid someone is going to fall through at some point. What is the best way of getting a replacement? I thought about trying to reinforce the current one but thought I would get a new one and reinforce that one. Thanks

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your dealer can definitely get you a new one.  Mine was replaced this year by my dealer after winter storage when they found the cover broken from the support pole sitting on it and the weight of the extra heavy snow fall collapsing it. 

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, the other option you might consider is using a material made by King Plastics called "StarBoard".  It is a marine grade solid polymer product (your dry storage doors are probably made from it, mine are).  It can be worked with standard woodworking tools and it would be a permanent solution as it is very strong and extremely durable.  

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• silvapv1720
    Options

thanks for the input. I'm waiting for a call back from my dealer.  I also thought about reinforcing the new cover with a length or two of stainless steel bar or angle iron to make it more sturdy.  How thick would you guess the starboard should be if I go that route? And if you don't mind me asking how much was the replacement hatch cover? That might dictate the route I follow. Thanks again. Looks like we have the same boat..
  • cjjjdeck
    Options

The dealer replaced it at no charge because he prepped it for winter and I stored the boat with him.  

If you decide to go the StarBoard route, I would measure the thickness of the current hatch ( I think it might be about an inch +/-, I'd have to measure mine to be sure).  You can probably use the current hardware.

Jamestown Distributors has the product and they are a good hardware supplier as well.  Here's a link to their website:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=StarBoard+Plastic+Supplies&category=599&page=GRID

• silvapv1720
    Options

Thanks for the input. I decided to reinforce mine with one inch square aluminum tubing on the underside since it was only cracked and not completely broken. that seems to have done the trick. I saw that the hinge was riveted on, so I didn't want to mess with taking it off. We will see how long it lasts..I show a picture of what I did.
  • cjjjdeck
    Options

Great idea, certainly worth a try!