Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

The starter works but the engine won't start.

Options
larsuzi
larsuzi Member Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in Engine Discussions
Hi all! This is my first post. I've been reading the forum for a while. This problem just surfaced so I figured I'd ask those who know. Hope you can help.

This is a 2003 FD211 with a SX150TXRB Yamaha outboard. The boat and motor were paired at purchase. I bought it from the original owner, who with the exception of the tilt sensor, and the speedometer not working, never had a serious issue with this boat. The boat started right up for him even if it hadn't been used for a while. It started even if the engine wasn't primed with the bulb. After I put on about 20 hours this problem happened.

The starter turns the motor but the motor doesn't start. There was only one time previous to this that the motor didn't start immediately, but eventually started after a few extra attempts. I didn't think much of it at the time but maybe this is all connected somehow. Now it won't start at all. The gas is new and treated with ethanol treatment, the oil level is correct, the batteries are fully charged. The safety switch is operational, in that the alarm sounds when the lanyard is not connected. The neutral safety switch is okay since there is no starter activity when the shifter is in gear.

The boat and motor were babied since new and as I said, this only recently happened out of nowhere. I am hoping it's something simple, like a main fuse -which if there is one I cannot locate- or a sensor preventing it from starting. If you can suggest some areas to scrutinize I would be grateful. Thanks a lot.

-lars

Post edited by nquirk on

Answers

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options

Not to suggest you're as naïve as I was, but does the key-operated choke work—that is, when you push on the ignition key, does it engage? You can watch it with the engine cover off to see. There's a solenoid on the starboard side of the block that pushes the choke linkage when electrically energized by the key switch. If not, have you tried the manual choke on the front of the engine cowling? If you pump the bulb, does it get firmer, or does it stay soft?

David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• larsuzi
    Options

I will look into the chokes but the bulb DOES get firm when squeezed. Not to sound even more naive, but is there a choke associated with this engine even though it is fuel injected? 

Thank you for your comments. If you have anything further to ad, please do.

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options

Oops, you're right, if FI there would not be. I wasn't paying attention to the "SX", which mine is not. Sounds a bit like a failed crank position sensor to me, but I'd expect it might still run, albeit poorly. Hopefully someone else can help!

David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have a 1 year old ss188 with a 115 yam.  last time out we were staying at a lakeside lodge and I was taking the key out of the ignition each evening.  My 11 year old grabbed the key the last time and took the key as well as the red kill switch connection with her.  When she put the key back in the ignition, she did not connect the kill/safety pin thingy.  I sat there for 30 min trying to figure out why everything worked fine earlier that day but 3 hours later would not turn on.   Each time I would turn the motor one the engine would give a solid beep for a few seconds.  It was 9pm in pitch black and as I was looking around I finally noticed the thing was not connected, plugged it up and amazing, we have engine.   I need to print out a list of beep codes to keep on board

Another one of my checklist items now :)

2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • larsuzi
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks for that. I get the alarm if the lanyard isn't in place also I bypassed the kill switch and still n/g. I did recently verify that I have no spark. 

So now I need to find out what would cause that.

• larsuzi
    Options

I tested the ign sw and found it to be ok. 

Where might I find a sequence of operation chart.

• rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Options

Is the small inline fuel filter clean?  would think even the FI type engines have one under the cowling somewhere.

Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • larsuzi
    Options
    The fuel filter under the cowl is clean, yes. I see no other "inline" filter. I know I get gas at the fuel rail and I can hear the fuel pump pressurize.
    Thanks.
  • IdahoMark
    IdahoMark Member Posts: 14
    Options
    No spark?  That's the problem.  Need to work back from there.  You're certain you bypassed the kill switch?  99% of the time, the kill switch is the cause of no spark.
  • cccjr
    cccjr Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been through 3 ignition switches in 6 months. I  assumed there's a wiring anomaly such as a wire with its insulation nicked leading to corrosion of the wire with increased resistance and amperage resulting but haven't verified. But I wonder if the electronic rectifier unit on the Johnson 250 Ocean Pro may be providing dirty electric supply. HumminBird GPS sonar drops out periodically (powers off) and over 15 years the electrical system almost certainly has more resistance than when it was new. Console inside area (where electrical terminations are) was carpeted which held moisture and facilitated the electrical system corrosion caused by this humid environment. If it is a damaged wire, is it more probably the ignition (purple) wire since it cranks but doesn't start when ignition switch fails? Any diagnostic guidance welcomed! Thanks.