Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2007 GS 202 w/4.3

Options
badge190
badge190 Member Posts: 4

Hi all,

We just sold our 20' 89 Sea Ray and are looking to upgrade to a 2007 Hurricane GS 202 with a 4.3 mercruiser with  fishing package, or a 2004 GS 202 with a 200HP Honda with fish package. Both boats are in great shape however I can get a better deal on the 2007, just concerned the 4.3 may be under powered. Have 4 kids most of the time 5 people total will be on boat. I ski and weigh in at 225, so getting towed by a battleship is out of the question. Basically any great differences between the model years and will the 4.3 be underpowered. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.  

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I'm not mistaken, the 4.3 yields at least 190 HP, so HP is pretty close.  Which engine has the lower hours?  If your in a cold winter climate, the outboard will be less costly to service due to less winterizing cost.  You didn't mention what drive is on the 4.3.  If it's a Bravo 3, it will not only pull better, it will give you better overall performance.  Is either engine fuel injected (which has less quirks than carburetor models).

If you have the ability to take both boats out, take advantage of it.

Just a few thoughts, I'm sure there will be more, maybe even from me.. 

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• badge190
    Options

Thanks! The 4.3 is the MPI 220 H.P. Both have between 160 and 180 hours. The I/O has the alpha drive. Yea we are in Wisconsin so cold weather, but boat will be in my heated garage, and Winterizing is no big deal, just never owned a large outboard so the Honda 200 sounded nice. Both of the I/O's we had were 5.7 mercruisers  so going smaller is a concern as the Hurricane is heavy.
  • cjjjdeck
    Options

There are a lot of pros and cons on the age old outboard vs. I/O subject (and there are posts on this forum to prove it).  But one thing I've seen come up from time to time in this forum is gaining access to systems below the deck (like bilge pump, fresh water tank, fuel tank, sonar transducer, wiring etc).  I've found with my I/O, I usually have easier access to these systems where the outboard model can be more of a struggle or non-existent to get to.  Also, the weight distribution on a I/O is different than the outboard, all the weight of the engine is sitting on the hull stringers compared to hanging it all on the transom.  This does effect performance.  Both motors are excellent, so you don't have a "bad" choice.

I know it sounds like I'm pushing the I/O here, I've owned both and I really don't have a strong performance preference between the two (unless you're talking about the Bravo 3 drive).  I'm just trying to point out a benefit that I've found that many people don't talk or think about.

• badge190
    Options

I really appreciate your comments, wouldn't of thought about access although I should have, as I have complained about hull access on more than one boat! I pulled the trigger on the 2007 GS 202. couldn't pass up the price and condition, one owner who seems to just be a really nice guy. Deal just seems right. I pick her up on Tuesday.
  • badge190
    Options
  • cjjjdeck
    Options

Awesome boat!  You are also going to really appreciate the full size swim platform (another benefit of the I/O), especially when engaging in watersports.

Best of luck and enjoy the boat!