Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Ordered new 203 O/B

Options
89checkmate
89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussions

Hello all, new guy here coming from the performance side of boating, always had a fast boat but now with a 5 and 7 year old that want to do water sports and a growing family it was time to look into a more family orientated boat, I just sold my 89' Checkmate with a 225 Merc that I completely restored that I had always wanted since the first time I seen it, took me 20 years but I finally got that boat, and now it's gone, lol, still have a 06' 22 ft Checkmate I/O with a 6.2 320 hp that will be going as soon as new deck boat arrives, it was hard to sell the 89', I always wanted that boat since I was a little kid but it just wasn't working with the growing family so it was time to move on.

Been looking for a few weeks and really liked the fit and finish on the hurricane compared to some others out there, I knew I didn't want a pontoon boat, father in law has a 2012 aqua patio with a 150 E-Tec and while it's a great boat it's just not my thing, need something that's going to get up on the water and drive like a normal boat, the hurricane seemed to be the best of both worlds.

Ordered a 203 O/B with a 200 optimax and just about every option available, really excited to have my first brand new boat but it's also the first boat I've have that won't do 70-80 mph, I hope the comfort makes up for it, should be a great boat for entertaining or pulling the kids on a tube, any idea what to expect for speed with the 200 opti?

I'll be sure to post pics when it comes.

Thanks for reading, John

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options

Congrats on the new boat.  The new 203 looks like a nice boat, with some of the best features of the Hurricane design combined into a new platform.  I would guess that you will be near the 50 mph range with that engine.  

Looking forward to photos and a ride report.

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a Hurricane Owner!

+1 on the pontoon boat comment!  The marina owner where I have a slip at ragged on me bad for not buying a pontoon boats from him when I told him I had no interest in a pontoon boat.  He hit me with a tirade of excuses as to why a pontoon boat was so much better than a deckboat.  Too late, I already bought it!  Three years later he loves me again.

As Ernest T stated, you have a nice combination of the tried & true features along with a higher degree deadrise hull @ 15 degrees (most 3 digit models have 12.5 to 13 degree deadrise hulls).  This should give your boat a bit better ride in choppier waters, especially for the length of the hull.  One slight drawback for owners of speedier previous boats is that the deckboat Catagory 5 hull design limits the maximum speed to around the 50 mph area +/- as Ernest suggests (although some owners have posted close to 60 mph, your results may vary).  The hull design's positive features is excellent roominess on the deck, quick on plane, lower on plane speeds (great for fuel economy) and great performance for most watersports.  It does exactly what you want a versatile family boat to do.  I still have a smile on my face at 45 mph! B)

Can't wait to see the pics!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• 89checkmate
    Options

Thanks for the comments guys, it's going to be a long month waiting for it to arrive, if there is any mph to squeeze out of It I will get it in time, lol, my 89' would do 55 when I got it and by the time I was done I seen 71, that was without doing anything to the motor, just engine setback, weight placement in the boat, and playing around with props, I might even put a hydraulic jack plate on it, I like to play around with the set up of any boat I've had to be able to use the boat to it's full potential. Looking forward to playing around with it, after the first ride I'll post my results and then a guess on what I think I can achieve, now hurry up and wait for it to come...

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@89checkmate.  Low 50s out the gate.  I run a 200 Opti on my SS188 and get 53MPH.  I also run a 5 blade 19P prop on it so I lose out on the upper end as I prefer the quicker planing and 'grip' for turning for tubing/watersports. 

You shouldn't have a problem with the low 50 range and as you've mentioned with the prop flipping, there is more available.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 89checkmate
    edited July 2014
    Options

Pulled the trigger on this today, got the electric winch with solar panel too, this was the one they had set up, mines in 100 pieces though, not looking forward to assembling it

• 89checkmate
    Options

Here's where it will go in front of the cabin, the Checkmate can sit on it for now till the new boat comes, no more cleaning scum off! 

• 89checkmate
    Options

Got her done, ready for the new boat!

• cjjjdeck
    edited July 2014
    Options

Nice setup checkmate!  And very nice boat!  But I think you're really going to love the replacement too!

Post some pics when you get it!

• 89checkmate
    Options

I got a pic from the factory! The next few weeks are going to seem like forever waiting for it to arrive...

• cjjjdeck
    Options

Yes....... yes it will!

• 89checkmate
    Options

Lol, I hope the trailer doesn't hold it up too long, it looks like the boat will be done before they have a trailer to put it on.

• 89checkmate
    Options

Well the big day is finally here, heading to town in a few hours to pick her up!

• cjjjdeck
    Options

Now the fun begins!  Post the pics on the "Love your Hurricane?  Then show it off...." thread!