Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

We are seriously thinking of purchasing a 2014 Hurricane Sundeck 217 IO. Any thoughts from owners?

Options
JuliaSnow
JuliaSnow Member Posts: 2

We have been Donzi boat owners, but would like a deck boat, however we do not know much about the Hurricane line.  These boats seem to have a lot of family friendly features.  We would be boating in the Potomac River, VA area. Any input from current or prior owners about reliability, functionality, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Best Answers

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've had the OB version of the 217 for the past 4 years.  I've had virtually no issues with my boat.  I'm just starting to notice a few very small cracks in the gelcoat in stress areas, but I've seen this occur on basically all boats over time.  I've had to replace a couple of the snaps on the cover, and sew up a few small rips in the cover, but I can't think of anything else that I have had a problem with.  

The extra deck space is nice on this type of boat.  I routinely have 6 passengers and that is a comfortable number.  8 gets a little crowded, but is manageable.  

The enclosed head on our boat is primarily used for storage space, but has come in handy as a changing room or potty break for times we were away from a shore facility.  Its a tight fit for me (over 6'), but great for my wife and the kids.

The boat makes a nice towing platform.  I've towed tubes, wakeboarders, and skiers, and even other disabled boats.  I added a set of Smart Tabs to my boat and this really helped lower planning speed and smooth out the ride, which helps when towing wakeboarders, since they like the speed right where the boat wants to fall off plane.  The boat is great on lakes and rivers.  I don't think I'd want to take it far off shore, because it gets bumpy in heavy chop.  

The IO version may be a totally different beast, since I'd guess it it considerably heavier in the stern, so your experience on that platform may be different.  I've been on many other types of boats, since buying the 217, and I haven't found another one that I would rather have. 

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm with Ernest T regarding the versatility , including the not wanting a different boat comment.  I still am perfectly content with my boat going into my third season since I purchased it.  

I can give you my experience with the I/O since the SD217 is similar in hull design to the SD237.  I don't know what engine and drive you are used to with the Donzi's you've had, but the I/O version of the SD217 offers you higher horsepower options over the outboard version, which you might be used to.  I've owned both outboard and I/O powered boats and usually don't have a strong preference between them.  I would also imagine that the extra weight of the engine and drive, plus it's better weight distribution would also give the boat a bit smoother ride over the outboard version.  I am appreciating the I/O on my Hurricane for a number of reasons.  Although more expensive than smart tabs/trim tabs, you may want to look into considering a duel prop drive (Bravo 3 for Mercruiser, Duoprop for Volvo).  I've not owned a boat with this technology before and I really appreciate the overall performance this drive system gives my boat, like better hole shot, faster on plane, lower planing speed, improved handling at speed and especially at slow docking maneuvering speed.  Last weekend I had 10 adults on my boat (the most I've had so far) and I was very impressed on how the boat easily got on plane.  You also have the option of adding a full width swim platform which our family really appreciates, especially when using water toys and giving you easier ingress/egress to the boat.

The other benefit with the I/O is that it also usually gives you better access to "things" located in the hull, like bilge pump, through hull depth finder transducer, baitwell pump, gas tank and the sending unit, fresh water tank, batteries, etc.

The downside with I/O is servicing and some extra maintenance verses the outboard.  But so far, I've not regretted my choice of powertrain in the least.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The above is a good summary of the two models.  I have the 2000 SD217 OB model so they have been building this boat for a long time and should have the kinks worked out by now!  They are very versatile as mentioned.  I went with an OB (from a 99 Hurricane GS248 w/ 5.7 Merc) to be able to use the boat during the winter if it warmed up, without having to re-winterize.  As mentioned, maintenance easier on my 2 stroke OB than an I/O.

2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB

Answers

• JuliaSnow
    JuliaSnow Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you all 3 above for your very detailed, informative and helpful replies - that you took the time to answer over a holiday weekend is much appreciated too!  We took the 217 I/O for a test drive on Saturday and realized it is too small to handle the Potomac River (yes, it would be a great and fun boat in our side creek/tributary area but then limiting as to where we could go - up to DC coming home at night or down toward the Chesapeake Bay area).  So, we are looking at the 24 ft. I/O model now, but still need to take it for a test ride.  I had my husband read your comments b/c he understands all the engine talk and he agrees - he had too realized he would need to put trim tabs on the 217 - so we need to see if on the 24 ft. model there is a place to mount them if necessary.  They make a big difference as we have them on our Donzi.  Again,  thank you all for your great replies and happy and safe boating! 

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was wondering about whether the 217 would work on the Potomac, so I'm not surprised with your comment.  Although I usually navigate in lakes, I wanted a boat that would safely navigate the Hudson River and that's why I went with the model I chose (23 foot).  I think the SD2400 would be a great choice for your needs.

Keep us updated on your progress!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer