Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Another gas cap story

cpufixer1
cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
I just bought a 2014 SD 2000 and I have been reading the stories about the gas caps. I already see it happening to me as the design of the gas cap makes it stick out past the rub rail. So I though about replacing with the flush mount chrome one from Perko, but first I thought I would take a look be hide the gas cap. So I remove the stereo speaker and to my surprise this does not look like a regular fill. It has four house to it, with one of them being the 1 1/2 fill. I followed these lines and they all go to the gas tank. Why would we need all this hoses ?

Comments

• servmgr64
    servmgr64 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I think the other hoses are vent lines to let the air out as the tank is filling. Without them it would take forever to fill.
    servmgr64 2013 FD226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

Just for info purposes, for anyone interested, I've attached an example of the new EPA mandated diurinal fuel tank system.  This might explain better all the hoses.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• bailey8331
    bailey8331 Member Posts: 3
    I have the problem too. How about a fix from Hurricane? Dealer says no fix is coming.
  • cjjjdeck
    I believe that the issue is more due to lack of vendors that supply an EPA compliant gas cap.  Many manufacturers stopped producing marine gas caps after the EPA forced boat manufacturers to comply with the new venting standard for the fuel tank and system.  Hurricane and other boat manufacturers are kind of stuck with what is out for now.

• delhaven
    delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Filling my tank goes slow. So I tried to trace the line from the vent to the tank to see if there is a kink or a low spot. It's not posible to do without cutting an access hole near the vent. I was surprized to see how many lines come off the tank and I couldn't understand why. After seeing your post of the fuel tank system requirements, now I know. Wow, what a mess! Eventually, the EPA will put everyone out of business.
  • cjjjdeck
    My thoughts exactly. 

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    The tank on my 2015 203 O/B filled with $250.00 worth in about 3.5 seconds on the first fill up, lol, no issues with it taking fuel at all, can hold the pump at WOT.
  • cpufixer1
    cpufixer1 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Has anyone found a source for these caps other then the dealer ?