Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Depthfinder won't read temperature

Options
onthelake
onthelake Member Posts: 5

Hi,

I just purchased a sundeck sport ss 203 ob. My lowrance depth finder won't read the water temp. It flashes 32 degrees. The water is roughly 68 degrees F. This has never worked. I reset the depth finder. No change. I tried to calibrate it, but it only allows me to go plus/minus 10 degrees. I can not enter the water temp. 

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Jeremy 

Answers

• servmgr64
    servmgr64 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Options
    My 2013 FD226 depth finder does the same thing. I think the transducer installed is a thru the hull type which will not register a temperature. To get the temperature to work I think it would require a stern mounted transducer that is external or a separate temperature probe. Have not had time to use the boat much so it has not been a nuisance. Let us know what you find out for sure.
    servmgr64 2013 FD226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    servmgr64 brings up some good points.  Is your Lowrance unit the one that's installed at the factory or was it dealer installed?  Do you see the transducer installed on the transom?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• onthelake
    Options

Thanks. I will have to look when it stops raining and report back. I believe the unit was factory installed.

• cjjjdeck
    Options
    Just learned that most Depth/Fishfinders installed at the factory are "thru-hull" transducers, so the temperature feature would not be available  There is an option to have an externally mounted transducer when you order the boat.  They probably do it this way because the majority of the boats built are being used for pleasure boating/cruising and less for fishing.

• onthelake
    Options

oh really. I guess that blows my mind a little. I would expect the temperature feature to work.

thank you

• cjjjdeck
    Options
    I knew my Faria in-dash depth finder had a thru-hull, but I didn't know the Lowrance unit usually is as well.  I didn't get the in-dash on my boat as I wanted a bigger screen unit which I installed on the dash with a Ram mount.

• MikeP
    MikeP Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Options
    Hi, I am new to the sight and was reading your thread.  If you're still having this issue you can get a transducer switch and install a second transducer on the transom.
    2014 SS 231 w/ Yamaha F250